Many file attributes sure get stripped in FAT, that is one of the reasons for setting up loop devices. I have had 3 with Knoppix 6.2.1, the ordinary persistent store plus two more, 4GB each. The underlying file can reside on any supported fs. (Including, it seems, NTFS). The main reason I have for creating Unix fs partitions wherever I can, is not speed, but practicality. But if you run Knoppix from a Unix partition on an external USB HD, I think you might also notice some speed improvements over USB sticks whenever writing is involved. And the 4GB limit on persistent store seems to be solely dictated byt FAT32. I I'm using 8 and 16 GB now as alternatives, 8GB seems to be a good balance.

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99