Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Does HD Installation have Persistent Store Like Live USB ?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ Krishna

    Please tell us about your hard drive format, partitioning and/or sharing.
    Do you use a multi-boot arrangement?
    Last edited by utu; 04-28-2011 at 06:17 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Hi guys,

    Thanks for the replies. Hmm ...

    When I said HD installation I meant the HD installation that folks mean when they post a question and tell us they have a HD installation in the hope that that means something. Now it seems that may be every HD installation is different.

    I guess the one I meant was the one you get when you boot the CD with the LXDE desktop, go to the main menu, select preferences and then KNOPPIX HD install. I did not realise folks might mean something else these days.

    When I answer a question on the forum, I know what happens with the LiveCD and LiveUSB but I really have no idea how it goes with the HD installation. Somewhere I read a HD drive installation was effectively Debian in disguise so I guessed there was no persistent store and no UNIONFS. I guess I guessed wrong.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ..but I really have no idea how it goes with the HD installation.
    ... the HD-installation will be done by '/usr/sbin/0wn' and '/usr/share/0wn/0wn-installing' => function copy_to_disk().

    The installation is a copy (rsync) of decompressed KNOPPIX to a HD, partioned with ReiserFS and a separate swap partiton. Have a look to my screenshots: Terminal1 and Terminal2

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    @ Krishna

    Please tell us about your hard drive format, partitioning and/or sharing.
    Do you use a multi-boot arrangement?
    Re: multi-boot: Not really - I mean, it could be, but I never bothered to create a Windows install that was good. This drive has some data preserved on it, rescued from bad systems' drives, against a highly unlikely need to resurrect them. I keep putting off the task of rationalizing it - probably because I take an inordinate amount of pride in keeping stuff functioning long after it's gone past the point of reasonable return on investment.

    As far as the format (partitioning) goes, here's a breakdown:
    Code:
    /dev/sda1                FAT32             6GB
    /dev/sda3                Extended        190GB
       /dev/sda5             ext2            177GB
       /dev/sda7             linux-swap        2GB
       /dev/sda6             FAT32            11GB
    /dev/sda4                NTFS             37GB
    As you might guess, the piece-meal approach I used (over time) is responsible for the screwy numbering on the partitions. Partition 1 was created last, in order to have a free space to use for the flash-install routine (it's not the first entry in the partition table, but that's okay.) There's a 2GB knoppix-data.aes (copied from another system where I was using a similar setup previously) along with the immutable 4GB Knoppix 6.2.0 files.

    Hope that makes sense!

    Cheers!
    Krishna

    p.s. I mount and use the NTFS partition sda4 for storage when I really need it, but the system load created by using NTFS makes it last choice when downloading. The second FAT32 partition on sda6 is much better, though that format limits max. file size. While I don't like the NTFS performance, I never lose data because of writing to it.
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 05-04-2011 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Making it easy 2 read

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00