-
Senior Member
registered user
@Krishna
The 'masked OEM' is Dell. I have an Inspiron 1545, dual Pentium cpus,
4Gb ram. I could never buy the parts as cheaply as Dell, so I stopped
making my own pcs. Only down-side is an internal wifi not well
supported by most distros except Knoppix.
Gparted says I have three partitions on the Win7 computer:
....40 Mb fat16 DellUtility
....15 Gb ntfs Recovery (for Win7 OS images)
...283 Gb ntfs OS (Win7 that is)
I'm in Harry's camp on writing across OS's. Conservative, that is.
I wouldn't know what to do with a broken Windows set-up other than to
re-install. Hours in a dull process. At least with Linux you can do
a lot of tinkering before giving up. And with, current day Knoppix even
a complete re-install is a much simpler, less time-consuming process
than a Windows install.
BTW, Isn't there a file ownership/mode problem going from Linux
to fat then back to Linux? Doesn't this get lost somewhere?
I have a 350 Gb external USB drive, currently 100% ntfs, that I'm thinking
of partioning to include some fat32 and ext capabilities. However, I'd
be surprised if a poor-man's install will beat my LiveUSB start-up time
by any significant amount. I can get on-line with Knoppix from start of
boot now in 56 seconds. Win7, using the internal hdd takes 60 seconds.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99