-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
utu
@Krishna
BTW, Isn't there a file ownership/mode problem going from Linux
to fat then back to Linux? Doesn't this get lost somewhere?
I have a 350 Gb external USB drive, currently 100% ntfs, that I'm thinking
of partioning to include some fat32 and ext capabilities. However, I'd
be surprised if a poor-man's install will beat my LiveUSB start-up time
by any significant amount. I can get on-line with Knoppix from start of
boot now in 56 seconds. Win7, using the internal hdd takes 60 seconds.
Many file attributes sure get stripped in FAT, that is one of the reasons for setting up loop devices. I have had 3 with Knoppix 6.2.1, the ordinary persistent store plus two more, 4GB each. The underlying file can reside on any supported fs. (Including, it seems, NTFS). The main reason I have for creating Unix fs partitions wherever I can, is not speed, but practicality. But if you run Knoppix from a Unix partition on an external USB HD, I think you might also notice some speed improvements over USB sticks whenever writing is involved. And the 4GB limit on persistent store seems to be solely dictated byt FAT32. I I'm using 8 and 16 GB now as alternatives, 8GB seems to be a good balance.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99