-
Damn Small Linux 4.4.10?
First of all, hi!
I tried to register on the damn small linux forum but the activation link doesn't work and I saw a link to this forum on the DSL page so here I am.
I got a little issue with DSL 4.4.10 and since it is based on Debian and KNOPPIX and the issue is KNOPPIX related I hope that you can help me.
I made a multiboot dvd with the program easyboot and added various linux distro's but because of that I had to rename folders and I renamed the folder "KNOPPIX" from the Damn small linux distro into "DSLINUX" but I forgot to change tha value knoppix_folder in the minirt24 file to dslinux.
I successfully boot the distro in virtual box but when I burn my multiboot project to dvd and try to boot from there, I get the following error:
Cannot find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
I googled a bit and found the following site containing so called cheat codes for DSL: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/i...hp/Cheat_Codes
So, to better describe the situation I will post some pictures.
When I start the Damn small linux distro I get the following screen:

I am asked to press enter, F2, F3 or I can write my boot command.
When I press enter in virtual box everything works normal but when I press enter on the from dvd booted distro I get the error mentioned above.
The problem is that DSL searches for the knoppix file in the KNOPPIX folder but was renamed to DSLINUX and what I want to do is that DSL looks for the knoppix file in the folder called DSLINUX.
Example, when I press F2 in the boot menu, I get more boot options:

what I want is something like this (look at the words written right from "boot:"):

and the cheat code site mentioned above states that it can be done by using the following things:
root={hda1 / sda1/ floppy } Specify root device / partition. In frugal / persistent installs, specifies where the linux cloop file KNOPPIX resides. Without this as a cheat code or boot menu parameter, the kernel will panic.
knoppix_dir=<path to dir w/o leading "/"> In frugal installs, specifies the directory name of the linux cloop file KNOPPIX if other than /KNOPPIX/. Use in conjunction with root=
The problem is that I don't know much about gnu/linux so I don't know how to write a command which will work. As I got it, it should something like this:
dsl root=/dev/sr0 knoppix_folder=/DSLINUX/
but this doesn't work since I don't know how to define the root properly (the root should be the DVD drive) and the value of knoppix_folder, with one slash on the left or one on the right, both or no slashes.
I hope you understand what I want.
Regards and thanks in advance.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$94.95

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99