Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Damn Small Linux 4.4.10?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by AltairAC View Post
    I tried to register on the damn small linux forum but the activation link doesn't work and I saw a link to this forum on the DSL page so here I am.

    I got a little issue with DSL 4.4.10 and since it is based on Debian and KNOPPIX and the issue is KNOPPIX related I hope that you can help me.
    DSL is dormant. It did not make the leap to Knoppix 6. I surmise that the version you have is based on Knoppix 5. I don't expect many on this forum can remember Knoppix 5.

    I don't think your issue is Knoppix related or that anyone can help you ....

    Quote Originally Posted by AltairAC View Post
    I made a multiboot dvd with the program easyboot and added various linux distro's but because of that I had to rename folders and I renamed the folder "KNOPPIX" from the Damn small linux distro into "DSLINUX" but I forgot to change the value knoppix_folder in the minirt24 file to dslinux.
    I surmise your need to rename directories is because you want Knoppix and DSL on your multiboot DVD.

    Perhaps you should make good your lacuna in minirt24 and try again.

    Quote Originally Posted by AltairAC View Post
    The problem is that DSL searches for the knoppix file in the KNOPPIX folder but was renamed to DSLINUX and what I want to do is that DSL looks for the knoppix file in the folder called DSLINUX.
    The problem is that you read what you expect to read, not what is written.

    The cheat code you quote is knoppix_dir= but you type knoppix_folder= consistently.

    Quote Originally Posted by AltairAC View Post
    The problem is that I don't know much about gnu/linux so I don't know how to write a command which will work.
    A entirely different but equally self-evident problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by AltairAC View Post
    but this doesn't work since I don't know how to define the root properly (the root should be the DVD drive).
    Knoppix and, by inference, DSL don't need a root=. Try without. If root= is an easyboot thing then sr0 might work. Knoppix 5 and, by interfence, DSL 4.4 don't do sr0: they do hda, hdb, hdc and hdd but it should try them all and find the KNOPPIX image provided it looks in the right directory. If you have real trouble then I think the cheat code to use is fromhd=

    Quote Originally Posted by AltairAC View Post
    I hope you understand what I want.
    No comment.

    Quote Originally Posted by AltairAC View Post
    Regards and thanks in advance.
    You're welcome.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3
    @Forester

    Thank you for noticing my first mistake, typing the wrong command (knoppix_folder instead of knoppix_dir, I guess that was on subconscious level) but that didn't work either so I guess you are right and this issue can't be solved by a boot command.
    I tried to hexedit the minirt24 file in the minirt24.gz archive and replace KNOPPIX_DIR="KNOPPIX" to KNOPPIX_DIR=“DSLINUX” , it worked.

    I don't understand why VirtualBox scans it successfully but my dvd drive doesn't and all those commands I tried don't work:
    dsl knoppix_dir=/dev/sr0/DSLINUX
    dsl knoppix_dir=/dev/sr0/DSLINUX/
    ...
    but since you mentioned that DSL is old anyway and I have Puppy linux, Tiny Core Linux and Slitaz on my multiboot dvd so it is not a problem so thank you for you advice and time!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    DSL is dormant. It did not make the leap to Knoppix 6. I surmise that the version you have is based on Knoppix 5. I don't expect many on this forum can remember Knoppix 5.
    oh, I doubt that we are that few, both me and harry have been here for quite a while helping out.
    As a matter of fact I have some version of Knoppix 3 in the archive somewhere, possibly even older.

    the answer is hard to give as i have nevwer used easyboot, I have no idea how it works.
    My best advise seems to be to read the easyboot documentation and keep asking specific questions, like what to type when you want this or that to happen.

    as for a crash course in Command-Line Linux try the labs at
    http://floppix.com/labs.html
    that link leads to a series of labs (70-75 pages of text) these will give you basics of 80-90% of commands used by me on a daily basis.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM picture

Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM

$286.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



(Lot of 4) Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR4 Gaming RAM / KF436C18BB/32 - VGC picture

(Lot of 4) Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR4 Gaming RAM / KF436C18BB/32 - VGC

$799.95



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V picture

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V

$41.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 DIMM White picture

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 DIMM White

$75.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00