-
Loop-mounting a knoppix-data.aes file
Dear all:
Well, I finally ran out of room for stuff in my persistent store tonight - I blew it up trying to install "just one more" program from a downloaded .deb archive. I wanted to start over on this sytem anyway, using Knoppix 6.4, and the knoppix-data is different enough that I don't expect to be able to use it with the new install, regardless. So, I just wanted to mount it up, copy some useful stuff out of it, and move on. Here's what happened (scroll to see the whole command line):
Code:
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo mount -t ext2 /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.aes /media/DATA/ -o encryption=aes-256,loop
Password:
ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: No such file or directory
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo mount -t ext2 /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.aes /media/DATA/ -o encryption=aes-256,loop=/dev/loop2
Password:
ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: No such file or directory
knoppix@Microknoppix:~$
Anybody see where I went wrong? I really thought I had the trick, but...
Cheers!
Krishna 
p.s. I did delete /dev/loop/0 as recommended in several posts here on the forum, and created the mount point /media/DATA/ before these attempts failed.
Last edited by krishna.murphy; 05-04-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Reason: Forgot to mention... (added p.s.)
-
Senior Member
registered user
Change the command to :-
Code:
sudo mount .... -o encryption=aes,keybits=256,loop
Or you can use the method which is used in minirt.gz :-
Code:
# echo "passphrase" | losetup -p 0 -e aes -k 256 /dev/loop2 knoppix-data.aes
# mount /dev/loop2 /media/data
-
Thank you - it worked! One note to others following this - don't put any spaces by the commas, i.e. keep exactly the "-o encryption=aes,keybits=256,loop". That cost me some time. Hope others can profit by my mistakes!
Cheers!
Krishna 

Originally Posted by
kl522
Change the command to :-
Code:
sudo mount .... -o encryption=aes,keybits=256,loop
Or you can use the method which is used in minirt.gz :-
Code:
# echo "passphrase" | losetup -p 0 -e aes -k 256 /dev/loop2 knoppix-data.aes
# mount /dev/loop2 /media/data
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 10
$1505.77

Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished
$44.99

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU
$15.99

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$69.99

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU
$74.99

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339
$39.99

Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU
$39.99

Intel Core i3-13100T CPU 13th Gen SRMBT 2.5 GHz LGA-1700 Desktop Processor
$105.00

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590
$139.00