Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Booting problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1

    Booting problem

    Just downloaded Knoppix and created my CD. Everything goes find on the boot-up until I reach the very last screen. This is a screen with a colorful graphic design surrounded by what looks like code for the graphic. At the bottom left corner of the screen I have six icons with a folder icon that says "Knoppix" at the top left of the screen. At the bottom right of the screen I have a speaker icon, what looks like a graphic memory screen, and the time. The problem? None of the icons will work or open Knoppix. Also, the memory screen turns completely green.

    It seem, the only way I can get Knoppix to run, is to push F2 at the boot-up screen and enter "Knoppix memtest." It runs the memory test and when finished, it boots up Knoppix. En-addition to the icons I listed above, I now have one extra icon at says, when moused over, "Wired network connection." Oh yes, all the icons now work and I can get into Knoppix. Will I always have to run a memory test to make Knoppix work?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, simmonc1, and welcome to this forum.

    The bottom-right thing you are looking at is a cpu applet.
    In your case it shows the cpu in overload for some reason.

    Assuming your cd itself is not faulty, the reason will be
    that the default conditions for boot are not right for your hardware.
    Screens F2 and F3 give you lots of things to try.
    Among these, I would try first knoppix testcd and knoppix no3d.

    If these don't help, the next thing I would do is make sure
    the iso and the cd are good with md5 tests.

    After you've done this, come back and tell us what you've
    done and learned, and a few more details about your setup.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.26



OWC Express 4M2 USB4 40Gb/s 4-Slot NVMe M.2 SSD RAID Enclosure w/ Cable picture

OWC Express 4M2 USB4 40Gb/s 4-Slot NVMe M.2 SSD RAID Enclosure w/ Cable

$125.00



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



New BroadCom 9500-8i Tri-Mode HBA Card Storage Adapter New-Sealed picture

New BroadCom 9500-8i Tri-Mode HBA Card Storage Adapter New-Sealed

$245.57