Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Cursor Size

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    23

    Cursor Size

    Not sure this is the right place to ask this. I am using Knoppix 6.4.4 and love it. However, the default cursor is horrid, much too small, so I installed another one but it will not work? I have also tried CompizConfig and set the size of the chosen cursor to 50 but nothing. Any ideas? Or will this be sorted out in 6.5? Thanks a lot.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, jacksbutler.

    In my case /etc/alternatives/xcursor-theme points to /etc/X11/cursors/core.theme. My /etc/X11/cursors/ has three other choices.

    I could, in principle, change the /etc/X11/cursors/'link' to one of the others.
    I haven't tried it, but you can, by deleting the current 'link' and doing an ln -s
    operation to select one of the other styles.

    Let us know how you make out.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    23
    Hi there and thanks for the reply but have no idea what you mean. I don't seem to have /etc/alternatives anywhere? etc/X11/cursors has way more than 3 other choices. Sorry to be so useless.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings again,

    My install only shows four choices in /etc/X11/cursors/.
    These are core.theme, handhelds.theme, redglass.theme and whiteglass.theme. Could by my choices are so few because
    (1) mine is a LiveUSB made from the LiveCD, and
    (2) I use a no3d default to disable Compiz.

    If I look at /etc/alternatives, I see my default cursor is set to core.theme.
    I can change it to whiteglass.theme as follows:

    cd /etc/alternatives
    sudo su
    rm x-cursor-theme
    ln -s /etc/X11/cursors/whiteglass.theme x-cursor-theme

    You may see some change right-away here, depending on what you have on your desktop, but to get the full effect, I had to do a full re-boot.

    To change back to core.theme, I would just do this:

    cd /etc/alternatives
    sudo su
    rm x-cursor-theme
    ln -s /etc/X11/cursors/core.theme x-cursor-theme

    and re-boot, of course.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    delete post #5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Evergreen 586 - Processor upgrade 486 to 586 picture

Evergreen 586 - Processor upgrade 486 to 586

$149.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested* picture

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*

$32.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



(Lot of 2) Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHz CPU Processor SR0PK LGA1155- CPU599A picture

(Lot of 2) Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHz CPU Processor SR0PK LGA1155- CPU599A

$60.00



AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad

$355.99