Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Linux Kernel 2.4.21 Released Question

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154

    Linux Kernel 2.4.21 Released Question

    I noticed this - what would be involved in upgrading?
    Would it be worth it?


    Linux Kernel 2.4.21 Released


    Posted by michael on Friday June 13, @01:20PM
    from the load-average-increasing dept.
    An anonymous reader writes "After > 6 months of waiting, 2.4.21 is here. Lots of cleanups, and a patch which gives a MAJOR boost to the 'feel' of the system under heavy disk IO, especially on IDE systems. As usual, available from your local kernel.org mirror or ftp.COUNTRYCODE.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/! Tidbit: 'Current bandwidth utilization 131.72 Mbit/s '." See the Changelog for new stuff.[/quote]

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55
    KNOPPIX development team:

    PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!

    include 2.4.21 in the next Knoppix release.

    Thanks,

    BR

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    154
    Having installed Knoppix, is it possible / worth doing to upgrade my kernel?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise
    Having installed Knoppix, is it possible / worth doing to upgrade my kernel?
    It's possable.

    If it aint broke, don't fix it

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55
    It's possible, but it's a pain. It'd be much easier (for me at least) to just wait for Knoppix to include it and then do a HD-Install from it.

    I need it for the usbnet drivers in 2.4.21 so I can communicate between Knoppix and my Zaurus.

    BR

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Klaus usually waits until the final release of a kernel before incorporating it into Knoppix. Now that 2.4.21 is officially out I suspect that it will be incorporated into the next Knoppix release - which should come sometime after LinuxTag.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise
    Having installed Knoppix, is it possible / worth doing to upgrade my kernel?
    --Yes. You can pretty much follow the instructions in my Linuxtips doc (see the "www" icon below).

    Warning: ' make dep ' failed for me, but I just continued on and it's running now. I used the 2.4.20-xfs config file from Knoppix (it's in /boot) and changed a few things around. Included Reiserfs in the kernel so I didn't have to use mkinitrd.

    --Detailed explanation follows (best as I can recollect from memory)

    ' cd /usr/src '
    ' time tar xjf /home/dave/dnld/linux-2.4.21.tar.bz2 ' == Extract the source

    ' cd linux-2.4.21 '
    ' make menuconfig '
    ( Load the file ' /boot/config-2.4.20-xfs ' when the menu interface comes up. Then change what you like. I saved to /usr/src/krnl2421.cfg )

    " alias make='make -s -j 2 ' "
    ' make dep '
    Errors reported:
    Code:
    root /usr/src/linux-2.4.21 # make dep
    make[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1.  Add `+' to parent make rule.
    md5sum: MD5 check failed for 'hfc_pci.c'
    md5sum: can't open hfc_pci.
    md5sum: can't open hfc_pci
    --Not knowing what to make of this, I changed a few more things in the menuconfig and tried again. Same error. I did an ' updatedb ' and ' locate hfc_pci ' and the file is ISDN-related. The changes having no result even after taking ISDN out of the kernel build, I continued on:

    ' time make bzImage '
    System is 982 kB
    warning: kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy

    --This is probably because I included Reiserfs instead of making it a module. But no big deal.

    ' mkdir /lib/modules/2.4.21 '
    ' cd /lib/modules '
    ' ln 2.4.21 preferred -sfn '
    ' cd - ' == Back to last dir

    ' time make modules && make modules_install '

    --Again, an error came up about unresolved symbols, but I just ran ' depmod -a ' again and everything was Ok.

    ' cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.21 '
    ' cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21 '
    ' cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.21 '
    ' cd /boot '
    ' ln System.map-2.4.21 System.map -sfn '

    ' jstar /etc/lilo.conf ' == Just to be safe, I left the default boot image stuff alone and added a second stanza:

    Code:
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21
            label=newkrn2421
            read-only
    #       alias=2
    --Then I issued ' lilo -b /dev/fd0 ' to write the boot stuff to a floppy, and rebooted. Worked fine, so I made the new stanza the default boot in lilo.conf.

    --Other things I had to redo:
    + Reran vmware-config.pl == Update VMWare 3.x
    + Redid NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run == Update NVidia X drivers.

    --So far everything seems to be working fine. However, if you need to make an initrd, you're on your own. If you do it successfully, post to this thread and let us know how you did it.

Similar Threads

  1. Question and New to Linux
    By chiefbutz in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2005, 01:31 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 07:49 AM
  3. when are the new kernel sources going to be released
    By voldemort in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 03:27 PM
  4. base on kernel 2.6.1, Pollix LiveCD 20040224 released ~!
    By charlesfan in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 07:02 AM
  5. linux-2.4.22 released
    By Fenix_999 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 08:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



SK Hynix 32GB DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM module (Model: HMA84GR7JJR4N-WM) picture

SK Hynix 32GB DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM module (Model: HMA84GR7JJR4N-WM)

$449.00



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162) picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)

$36.99



Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW picture

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW

$1.39



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



Samsung 64GB 4x16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 ECC RDIMM Server M393A2K40CB2-CTD7Y picture

Samsung 64GB 4x16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 ECC RDIMM Server M393A2K40CB2-CTD7Y

$299.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98