Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Can't access anything

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2

    Can't access anything

    I'm trying to access my Windows Vista files after the operating system crashed. I'm assuming they're located on dev/sda1, but whenever I look at that partition in GParted, it says it's unmounted. I've tried various commands to mount it (not knowing what the heck I was doing any of the time), but nothing has worked so far. Any ideas? I have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm not sure if I'll even be able to do this unassisted.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... use PCManFM. PCManFM is the second icon from left.

    You can mount the partitions of Windows by clicking at the entries in the left panel of the filemanager.

    For drag and drop operations open two instances of the filemanager.

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2
    There are two problems. One, there is no icon for PCManFM that I can see. I looked everywhere for it, but I couldn't find anything. The bigger problem is that dev/sda1 doesn't show up at all in the file manager. The only place I can see it is in the partition manager. It has a black square next to it and under the type column, it says "unknown".

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... if you are using an up-to-date Knoppix (Knoppix 6.4.4) then the filemanager is the PCManFM.
    The only place I can see it is in the partition manager. It has a black square next to it and under the type column, it says "unknown".
    In this case you can try to restore some thing with "TestDisk" (on the Knoppix CD).

    Be aware, it is a dangerous tool, not for beginners! Read all the documentations at the authors side

    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk


    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.62