Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: loss of window controls

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    loss of window controls

    Hoping someone can help with this because I really don't want to reload my USB drive. For no apparent reason, all of my windows in Knoppix 6.0.1 have lost their controls. The ones at the top right of the window. There is no minimize bar, max/normal box, or even the X to turn off the window. I am hoping that someone found a solution to the problem and will tell me an easy fix.
    I can, of course, erase the entire drive and reload it, but I would prefer not to lose all of the customizing that I have done. The data on it is safe since I make a backup copy of the knoppix-data.img file; so, that is not an issue.
    Please, help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I think that you should try to start the window manager openbox in a command line. Open a terminal and issue
    Code:
    /usr/bin/openbox &
    If there is already a window manager running, you will get an error message. Otherwise you should get the controls.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    You might also try control-alt-backspace.

    In any event, I would like to know what conditions caused your problem.
    Please keep us informed.

    Since you have a backup, you might try to see if just a
    reboot solves a temporary X problem. It's your call on this.
    Last edited by utu; 05-22-2011 at 01:55 PM.

  4. #4
    <span style="background-color: #99FF99;">Tried the reboot both warn and cold. no effect. i did notice that the comp-z splash screen no longer appears during the boot up process. I believe that that may be the root cause (pardon the pun) of the failure. If so, how do I get comp-z working again?</span>

  5. #5
    Tired both ideas. The first one gave the error message and said that a manager is urnning; the second appeared to restart xorg, but still left off the window controls. If I can't resolve this in a few days, I will erase the USB drive that my Knoppix runs off of and reload it from the CD. Hoping that 6.4 comes out in a DVD format first.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Hello, again, railrider1972.

    We don't have many clues to help you with.
    Did your USB ever work right? When was this? (K!6.4.4 came out in Feb 2011)
    Did you make a copy of knoppix-data before things went bad?
    Do you know how to rejuvenate your set-up using knoppix-data?
    What were you doing when things went from good to bad (if ever)?
    Where does your DVD comment fit here, anyway?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    A long time ago I installed Knoppix 6.0.1 on an SD card. Today I added the latest NVIDIA graphics card driver (270.41.06) because my 220GT graphics card does not like the nv xserver driver. Furthermore I think that the proprietary driver is needed if I want 3D graphics. A side effect was that windows had no controls if I used compiz fusion. I always issued
    Code:
    openbox --replace &
    Today I learned that compiz fusion of Knoppix 6.0.1 shows windows without frames if I use the default color depth of 16. I have to issue the cheat code depth=24 at the boot prompt. In my case I use the command
    Code:
    knoppix xmodule=nvidia depth=24
    at the boot prompt in order to get compiz fusion working.

  8. #8
    A few more clues.
    Yes, the USB chip worked fine up until last weekend. It failed to work correctly after I issued a shut down command, and for no apparent reason, instead of shutting down, it restarted itself. Was not paying that much attention and pulled the chip out during the reboot process. Has not had window controls since then. Thinking that a file may have either been corupted or possibly erased.
    knoppix-data.img was backed up after this since it does look like I will be reloading the chip from the DVD to fix the issue. Still hoping for a solution from here first.
    Just wondering, if a blank chip is created, and the knoppix-data.img just be copied to it and work, or does knoppix have to create it and update it;s scripts to know it is there?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ railrider1972

    I think I would probably re-format the USB and start all over. Also,
    I'd advise you not to pull the USB while it is being accessed, and
    I'd advise you to make a tar.gz backup of KNOPPIX-DATA every once
    in a while in the future, while things are still working ok.

    I think I've read that pulling a USB when it's in a read or write process
    can cause some real problems with the data on the USB.

    If your back-up was made after the problem arose, I expect it may not be
    any help in getting things going. It may be bad for a number of reasons.

    Sorry to be so pessimistic. Maybe Klaus2008 can give you better news.

  10. #10
    Thanks for the advice. I though i'd have to reformat the drive. I also heard the same thing about USB drives. fortunately, I checked the improtant data in the IMG file and it is unharmed.

    By the way, I can find the CD version of 6.4.4, but can't find the DVD version. Does anyone know if it is out yet, and if so, where to download it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368 picture

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368

$22.99



OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511 picture

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511

$28.99



OEM Genuine 62WH 6MT4T Battery For Dell Latitude E5470 E5570 6MT4T 07V69Y 7V69Y picture

OEM Genuine 62WH 6MT4T Battery For Dell Latitude E5470 E5570 6MT4T 07V69Y 7V69Y

$36.66



Genuine OEM 6GTPY 97Wh Battery for Dell XPS 15 7590, 9550 Series 5XJ28 GPM03 New picture

Genuine OEM 6GTPY 97Wh Battery for Dell XPS 15 7590, 9550 Series 5XJ28 GPM03 New

$33.50



OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17 picture

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17

$45.49



OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541 picture

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541

$35.78



Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade picture

Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade

$36.99



OEM 74WH 357F9 Battery For Dell Inspiron 15 7559 i7559 7557 i7557 5577 7567 5576 picture

OEM 74WH 357F9 Battery For Dell Inspiron 15 7559 i7559 7557 i7557 5577 7567 5576

$26.99



OEM Genuine 95WH PKWVM C903V Battery 7550 For Dell Precision CR72X 17C06 447VR picture

OEM Genuine 95WH PKWVM C903V Battery 7550 For Dell Precision CR72X 17C06 447VR

$37.40



Genuine OEM 63Wh 7FMXV Battery For Dell Latitude 5320 7320 7420 7520 4M1JN TN2GY picture

Genuine OEM 63Wh 7FMXV Battery For Dell Latitude 5320 7320 7420 7520 4M1JN TN2GY

$32.99