-
External and internal hard drive help
Hey, I need some help guys. My computer(running XP) crashed recently and my friend gave me several versions of knoppix to boot it from in order to recover data. He also gave me an external hard drive to back the data up on. The versions I have, and the problems with each are as follows.
Knoppix 4: Doesn't even recognize my external hard drive.
Knoppix 5: Recognizes my original hard drive, calls it "dirty" and says it needed a "force mount". It also calims it cannout mount my external hard drive because "no file system is specified".
Knoppix 6: Everything I mouse over is read by some text to speech thing, and I can't figure out how to stop it. It gets quite annoying after awhile. It also cannot access(mount) my original hard drive as it claims "a job is pending"
All of these problems are quite bothersome, and in addition, sound doesn't even seem to work in Knoppix 4 or 5. Can someone please help me with any of these problems so I can back up my data?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Most Windows hard drives are now formatted with the NTFS file system (yea, I know, that's redundant), including external hard drives. If the drive is completely empty and you can reformat it as a FAT partition (Fat32) then you'll likely have better results. Years of reading others problems here have convinced me that writing to NTFS with Knoppix never works well in the long run.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Knoppix 6: Everything I mouse over is read by some text to speech thing, and I can't figure out how to stop it. It gets quite annoying after awhile.
... you started a Knoppix version for blind peoples. At Knoppix startup, when you can see the little penguin, type in the bottom line after "boot: " knoppix.
Knoppix cheatcodes
You can format (fat32) the external drive with GParted; be careful, don't format the crashed drive!
Now open the filemanger (the second icon from left in the bottom line) and try to mount the crashed drive by clicking on the symbol in the left panel. Perhaps you can see anything of your lost files.
Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)
-

Originally Posted by
Werner P. Schulz
... you started a Knoppix version for blind peoples. At
Well that'd explain the noise. I've gotten past that, but I also just noticed that knoppix 6 doesn not detect my hard drive either and that it has no borders on any sort fo window. I will try that formatting program and get back to you soon. Thanks a million for the advice.
-

Originally Posted by
lorderok
Well that'd explain the noise. I've gotten past that, but I also just noticed that knoppix 6 doesn not detect my hard drive either and that it has no borders on any sort fo window. I will try that formatting program and get back to you soon. Thanks a million for the advice.
Okay, I reormatted it with QTParted, the program with knoppix 5, I still cannot mount the hard drive, however. this time the error says:
Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdf1,
missing codepage or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so
What should I try now?
-
Okay, I reormatted it with QTParted, the program with knoppix 5, I still cannot mount the hard drive,
... oh, oh! Which drive did you format and which drive do you can not mount?
Please open a terminal and type and Tell us the output of both commands.
If your Windows drive is real damaged, then there is little hope to restore something. You can try TestDisk (on Knoppix CD). This is not a tool for beginners! Read all the documentation!
First of all follow the chapter Disk Duplication.
Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)
Tags for this Thread
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot 4 Samsung 64gb PC4-25600 2Rx4 DDR4-3200AA ECC RDIMM Reg Server Memory RAM
$3199.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS
$65.00

Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16)
$64.99

RAM G. SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16 F43200C16Q64GVK Matched
$149.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
![[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc. picture](/store/img/g/IKQAAeSwEK9qv9TG/s-l225/-BULK-LOT-OF-10-UNITS-of-8GB-DDR4-Laptop-RAM-SAMSU.jpg)
[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc.
$299.99

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT
$155.19

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz Memory DIMM Tested Excellent Condition
$155.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00