Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix on SD media - Best practice request

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix on SD media - Best practice request

    Dear Knoppix Users;

    I have a best practice question: What is the best way to run Knoppix on a netbook with a SD card as the drive media? (Netbook does not have a hard drive)

    System Info: HP Mini 1000 Netbook
    Code:
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ lspci -v
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 361a
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel
    
    00:02.0  VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express  Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 361a
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
        Memory at fe980000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        I/O ports at dc80 [size=8]
        Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Memory at fe940000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: i915
    
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 361a
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        Memory at fe880000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
    
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 361a
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 41
        Memory at fe938000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
        I/O behind bridge: 00001000-00001fff
        Memory behind bridge: fea00000-feafffff
        Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 000000007f800000-000000007f9fffff
        Capabilities: <access denied>
    
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=0
        I/O behind bridge: 0000e000-0000efff
        Memory behind bridge: feb00000-febfffff
        Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 000000007fa00000-000000007fbfffff
        Capabilities: <access denied>
    
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 361a
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
        I/O ports at dc00 [size=32]
        Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
    
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 361a
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
        I/O ports at d880 [size=32]
        Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
    
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 361a
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
        I/O ports at d800 [size=32]
        Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
    
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 361a
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
        I/O ports at d480 [size=32]
        Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
    
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 361a
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
        Memory at fe937c00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
    
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2) (prog-if 01 [Subtractive decode])
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=03, subordinate=03, sec-latency=32
        Capabilities: <access denied>
    
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 361a
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0
        Capabilities: <access denied>
    
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 361a
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
        I/O ports at 01f0 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 03f4 [size=1]
        I/O ports at 0170 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 0374 [size=1]
        I/O ports at ffa0 [size=16]
        Kernel driver in use: ata_piix
    
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 361a
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 19
        I/O ports at 0400 [size=32]
        Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
    
    01:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 1507
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
        Memory at feafc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: wl
    
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 361a
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 40
        Memory at febfc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        I/O ports at ec00 [size=256]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: sky2
    Device info: AData 32gb Class 10 SDHC card.

    Currently running: KNOPPIX_V6.4.4CD-2011-01-30-EN as Live media on the SD with cheatcodes - no3d and toram

    Currently experiencing - long boot time (TORAM is adding to an already long sequence); and Hibernate doesn't work.

    Looking for your suggestions.

    -K. Elephant

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    I'm just now running remastered (10 GB software) knoppix w/4 GB persistent store off a 8GB class 2(?possibly, 4 at most) Kingston card on an Asus UL30VT, 4GB RAM. The Asus can't boot from the card, but I have just added a GRUB entry for it on the hard disk. Seems to work OK, but of course things go somewhat slower. I am greatly surprised at the relative speed and comfort, though. And, having done no card-sparing modifications, I don't know how long the card will last. Just testing it. TORAM: Probably not good idea. Normally we use just a few programs at a time, and these get cached in RAM anyway. Hibernate: Could not work well with much RAM: Writing 4GB takes 400 sec to write to SFD w/10MB/s (class 10) cards,

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quick update: With FAT16 cards/partitions (<=2GB), I am able to boot with external card readers, but no way with the built-in reader. This simply means that I have to use boot partitions to run DVD version/derivatives off SD cards. On the other hand, this works also for microSD cards and all kinds of permissive readers. For example, I ran Knoppix successfully from the memory card in a smartphone, but didn't want to try making a boot partition there.

    Using boot partitions, SDHC cards may be a good alternative to USB sticks, as they have alternative use as recording media. And with a careful writing regime, they could last long.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$16.41



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99