Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Noveau problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2

    Noveau problem

    Hello,

    I have a nvidia 7000m. After installing knoppix desktop loads scrambled. In a live cd I had to type failsafe to load in 2d. I am also dual-booting along side Ubuntu. So in grub 2 I have tried to load it with knoppix nomodeset xmodule=nv to no avail.

    I have also tried go get into console only to have the that screen scrambled. I would like to purge the driver all together. But don't know the complete package name.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    I am also dual-booting along side Ubuntu.
    Which driver does your graphics card use if you boot Ubuntu?

    In a live cd I had to type failsafe to load in 2d.
    If you read the configuration file /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg on the Knoppix CD then you will find a section with the TITLE failsafe. There are two lines of text following. In the line starting with APPEND you will see all the cheat codes used when typing in 'failsafe' at the boot prompt. I think that you should try out the cheat codes corresponding to the graphics mode.

    I would like to purge the driver all together.
    I made the experience that it is possible the proprietary NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver in Knoppix 6.4.4 alongside the nouveau graphics driver. I have got a 220GT NVIDIA graphics card. The NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver I use supports the NVIDIA graphics chips since GeForce 6 including the mobile chip sets.

    You can download the current driver from the NVIDIA web page http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...19-driver.html I did the following to install the NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver after having downloaded it to a directory accessible from Knoppix. The first thing was that I booted Knoppix 6.4.4 into text mode with
    Code:
    knoppix 2
    at the boot prompt. I mounted the drive with the downloaded driver and changed to the proper directory where I issued
    Code:
    ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-270.41.19.run
    The installer complained about the nouveau driver and I allowed the creation of a special configuration file for modprobe which should disable the nouveau graphics driver. After having terminated the installer I rebooted Knoppix. This time I used
    Code:
    knoppix vga=normal nodrm 2
    at the boot prompt. After I had mounted the proper drive and changed to the directory with the NVIDIA driver file I executed the NVIDIA installer again. This time I could install the accelerated graphics driver. At the end of the installation procedure I allowed the installer to create an xorg.conf configuration file although it was being overwritten at the next reboot by the mkxorgconfig program.

    I boot Knoppix with
    Code:
    knoppix xmodule=nvidia depth=24
    and experienced no difficulties so far with my 220GT grahics card.

    There is no guaranty that your graphics card will work with the proprietary driver but I think that you should try it out.

    It might be possible to install the NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver from the Debian software repository but I did not try this out.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2
    Thanks Klaus for your detailed explanation.

    I use the most current Nvidia driver. I installed it through Ubuntu's repo's. I currently have 11.04. I was using 10.04 and am familiar with having to install the proprietary drivers from Nvidia. Though it looks like the current kernel that 10.04 is using the drivers can be downloaded through Ubuntu and won't fail.

    Anyway back to Knoppix . I don't get a boot screen after selection at grub 2 just goes straight to loading the 3d desktop. I tried editing the boot at grub but that didn't work either.
    I will try to install the drivers through a live cd session.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2 picture

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2

$70.00



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS picture

Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS

$120.00