I would use useradd to create a new user with password automatically in knoppix.sh. For detailed information on useradd, please see the man page.
Any idea how to add a root and knoppix password automatically ?
(without user intervention)
It's to create semi-customized knoppix.![]()
It should launch FTP server and SSH server automatically at boot.
But without setting the password for knoppix this doesn't work.
Anyone an idea ?![]()
Greetzzzzz,
I would use useradd to create a new user with password automatically in knoppix.sh. For detailed information on useradd, please see the man page.
Answer resided in article 'Headless knoppix' (docs division)![]()
the line :
does the trick.Code:echo "knoppix:$PASSWORD" | chpasswd
Nevertheless you must be in root.
Since you can't sudo this with knoppix user ,you'll have to work with inbetween script.
The reason I use sh xxxx.sh is that I can use then from a remote drive. (I don't have to chmod it- since I can't either )
How I pulled it off :
- launch KWrite (or other editor)
type here :
save it as setmyknoppix.shCode:echo "knoppix:testpassword" | chpasswd
- Now type in knoppix console :
Now the password for knoppix is set to testpasswordCode:sudo sh setmyknoppix.sh
This can also be applied for the root.
- launch KWrite (or other editor)
type here :
save it as setmyroot.shCode:echo "root:rootpassword" | chpasswd
- Now type in knoppix console :
et voilą ....Code:sudo sh setmyroot.sh
greetzzzz...
Sorry chaps, seems you can't get bold into code.
So here is the good one
Answer resided in article 'Headless knoppix' (docs division)![]()
the line :
does the trick.Code:echo "knoppix:$PASSWORD" | chpasswd
Nevertheless you must be in root.
Since you can't sudo this with knoppix user ,you'll have to work with inbetween script.
The reason I use sh xxxx.sh is that I can use then from a remote drive. (I don't have to chmod it - since I can't either)
How I pulled it off :
- launch KWrite (or other editor)
type here :
save it as setmyknoppix.shCode:echo "knoppix:testpassword" | chpasswd
- Now type in knoppix console :
Now the password for knoppix is set to testpasswordCode:sudo sh setmyknoppix.sh
This can also be applied for the root .
- launch KWrite (or other editor)
type here :
save it as setmyroot.shCode:echo "root:rootpassword" | chpasswd
- Now type in knoppix console :
Now the password for root is set to rootpasswordCode:sudo sh setmyroot.sh
et voilą ....
greetzzzz...

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$12.00
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
$8.00
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01