-
Senior Member
registered user
Some comments:
1. I think the "nowear" cheatcode should not always be used. When doing heavy work involving the persistent store, like package upgrading, I think it may be better to skip the ramdisk layer. The ramdisk layer is for "everyday", not "administrative" use.
2. If we often find ourselves doing lots of heavy work with the persistent store - why are we doing it there? Much better to mount extra partitions and use them directly. Myself, I now find that I need about 4GB persistent store for comfort, but not more. Rather remaster, if programs fill it up, or move data out.
3. With modest modifications, how much does it matter if the ramdisk crashes without having been written to persistent store now and then? And with laptops, power outage is normally not a reason for crash.
4. I wonder what is so terribly impractical with an aubrsync-based scheme, where the ramdisk is normally copied at shutdown, but there is also an option to close X, unmount&update persistent store, and remount/restart X. That is safe, and I wonder where the pressing performance/use issues lie that motivate giving up on safety?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Netac 512GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC
$73.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00