Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: fusecompress on knoppix-data.img?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    Maybe the safest thing is to get the source off sourceforge and proceed?
    If you are talking about aufs kernel module for KNOPPIX, there is nothing to worry, Klaus K would have compiled the right version for it. If it had been the wrong version, it wouldn't compile with newer kernel and it won't run. It would be noticed !

    By contrast the debian version might be old and faulty, because a typical debian user won't use aufs, so even if it is old and faulty, it would go unnoticed.

    If you are talking about aufs-utils or aufs-tools, then I can't say anything about the debian version, because in a typical use, the aufs-utils are not used at all. It would not be surprising if the package faulty.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    If you are talking about aufs kernel module for KNOPPIX, there is nothing to worry, Klaus K would have compiled the right version for it. If it had been the wrong version, it wouldn't compile with newer kernel and it won't run. It would be noticed !

    By contrast the debian version might be old and faulty, because a typical debian user won't use aufs, so even if it is old and faulty, it would go unnoticed.

    If you are talking about aufs-utils or aufs-tools, then I can't say anything about the debian version, because in a typical use, the aufs-utils are not used at all. It would not be surprising if the package faulty.
    May I suggest that you seem very optimistic about the situation?

    First, aufs is a general tool, and it is used "everywhere", not only in Knoppix. The message I linked to was in response to a Debian user. A "typical" Debian user may not need it, true. But many essential libraries are never required by "typical" users, still they are essential.

    Second, IF Klaus K has compiled the right version for aufs, then he has done a (rare) departure from his (recent?) general Debian compliance. Which would probably mostly be regarded as a hack, since it is not in sync with utils and tools, which we frequently need when we will modify or check something.

    Third, I tend to believe the creator and maintainer of aufs. And the aufs relation to the mainline kernel is - well - "undecided" at best, see for instance the main sourceforge page (http://aufs.sourceforge.net/ ) :

    Note: it becomes clear that "Aufs was rejected. Let's give it up." According to Christoph Hellwig, linux rejects all union-type filesystems but UnionMount.
    So, as I interpret this, the last thing we should expect, is any kind of automagical updating and integration of aufs.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    May I suggest that you seem very optimistic about the situation?
    Yes I am. Because I update my kernel very often, each time I have to match it against the correct version of aufs. I have compiled aufs kernel module too many times already.

    First, aufs is a general tool, and it is used "everywhere", not only in Knoppix. The message I linked to was in response to a Debian user. A "typical" Debian user may not need it, true. But many essential libraries are never required by "typical" users, still they are essential.
    I don't know what "essential" libraries you are talking about. A typical aufs user does not even use the aufs tools. Even knoppix does not use the aufs tools ! Only in rare occasions that you need to use the aufs utils or tools.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    Yes I am. Because I update my kernel very often, each time I have to match it against the correct version of aufs. I have compiled aufs kernel module too many times already.
    If you compile from latest sourceforge version from the developer, it is surely OK. My concern was about the "correct" version of aufs.

    Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    I don't know what "essential" libraries you are talking about. A typical aufs user does not even use the aufs tools. Even knoppix does not use the aufs tools ! Only in rare occasions that you need to use the aufs utils or tools.
    "Essential" is of course a relative concept. As a new example, on Friday an error message appeared on R-help: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]
    A possible explanation, mentioned by Brian Ripley, is Debian's versions of the lapack and blas libraries. When Debian is used on a scientific/engineering workstation, those libraries are surely essential, even though the vast majority of users don't use them. They could, however, crop up anywhere, embedded in image processing routines, games etc.

    A more actual example is provided by this thread: Use of aufs-tools to make no-wear Knoppix versions for flash memory. With widespread use, those tools could migrate into the "essential" category, I think.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    If you compile from latest sourceforge version from the developer, it is surely OK. My concern was about the "correct" version of aufs.
    Whatever it is, the point I want to make is that, I am pretty confident that Klaus K have compiled aufs correctly to match his version of kernel. The last thing to suspect is the version of kernel aufs module is wrong. Knoppix will not run if the kernel aufs module is wrong.

    The aufs toolset is a totally different story. Knoppix does not use it. Most debian users also do not use it. So I am not surprised that it might be faulty.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5

HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K Hard Drive (V6315)

$69.95



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99