Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Computer freezes/hangs while using Shred.

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Computer freezes/hangs while using Shred.

    Hey all.

    I'm using the "shred" command to clear off computers before they are donated, but I've been having trouble with one of the desktops. I'm using a live boot disc of Knoppix, as most of the computers I've been working with don't have a usable OS installed.

    The computer in question is an old Dell Precision Workstation 360. Everything seems to check out find, hardware wise, but when I use Shred, the computer freezes at exactly 45% (or there abouts). I haven't completely ruled out a hardware issue, but I was wondering if anyone has any idea of where to start? Freezing is a fairly broad problem (it seems to me).

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    first thought is "memory is acting up" so memtest and check of /var/log for any hints

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad

$355.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested* picture

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*

$32.99



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



(LOT OF 12) Intel Core i5-9500 CPU 3.00GHz Desktop Processor (SRF4B) picture

(LOT OF 12) Intel Core i5-9500 CPU 3.00GHz Desktop Processor (SRF4B)

$575.00



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99