first thought is "memory is acting up" so memtest and check of /var/log for any hints
Hey all.
I'm using the "shred" command to clear off computers before they are donated, but I've been having trouble with one of the desktops. I'm using a live boot disc of Knoppix, as most of the computers I've been working with don't have a usable OS installed.
The computer in question is an old Dell Precision Workstation 360. Everything seems to check out find, hardware wise, but when I use Shred, the computer freezes at exactly 45% (or there abouts). I haven't completely ruled out a hardware issue, but I was wondering if anyone has any idea of where to start? Freezing is a fairly broad problem (it seems to me).
Thanks!
first thought is "memory is acting up" so memtest and check of /var/log for any hints

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00
Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99
Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99