Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Amending Boot Sequence?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    23

    Amending Boot Sequence?

    I have Knoppix 6.4.4 installed on my laptop (Dell) and all works wonderfully. The power management os unbelievable! Was just wondering if there is a way of altering the boot sequence in the root menu so that I don't have to keep editing it when I boot up? Specifically I want to change the language to xkeyboard=gb and the time sequence to europe/london and want to do it so that it is kept once changed. Any ideas as to how I do this? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Hi, jacksbutler.

    One way is to edit the first line of /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg.
    Just add or change some of the default cheat-codes.

    Make a copy of syslinux.cfg like syslinux.cfg.orig just in case.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    p.s.
    I'm assuming your 6.4.4 is a Live USB like mine, of course.
    Something similar will apply to an HDD install.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    I'm not sure but when you do a hdd install I'm afraid it uses grub, in this case edit the lines in
    /boot/grub/grub.conf

    Try first utu's suggestion

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    23
    Hi and thanks for the help. I cannot find /mnt-system/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg anywhere? I edited the grub conf, but could not save it? Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Hi, again, jacksbutler.

    Looks like your setup is not like mine at all. Sorry.
    Maybe dinosoep can steer you better.

    FWIW, I don't have a grub.conf, but I do note that my /boot/grub
    files are root:root. In which case if I wanted to edit grub.conf
    I would need to start out with

    sudo leafpad /boot/grub/grub.conf

    so I could save my edits.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    23
    Hi utu and thanks a lot. My grub is in sda2, so I just amended your instructions to sudo leafpad/sda2/boot/grub, amended the list, saved and it all worked! Many thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$385.00



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99