-
Windows won't boot - Is Knoppix my hero?
My laptop fell from a small chair 2 days ago and since then, Windows won't boot. I am terrified of losing my files because I have many, many, maaaaaaany important things on there! I've been looking up solutions online from my mother's computer and have found many people saying that Knoppix can retrieve my files from my laptop.
I want to make sure this is true, as well as ask how to go about doing so. Can anyone help me?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
RizaHawkeye
My laptop fell from a small chair 2 days ago and since then, Windows won't boot. I am terrified of losing my files because I have many, many, maaaaaaany important things on there! I've been looking up solutions online from my mother's computer and have found many people saying that Knoppix can retrieve my files from my laptop.
I want to make sure this is true, as well as ask how to go about doing so. Can anyone help me?
It's at least a good chance Knoppix won't be your hero unless you make Google and forum search your good and trusted friends..
You should look it up, the very short versions are:
If only booting is affected, you should be able to boot Knoppix from CD/DVD/USB, mount the actual Windows volume(s) and retreieve data from them.
If the file system is damaged, most will advise specialized recovery/repair tools, those tend to run under Windows.
If the disk is also severely damaged (more than a number of bad blocks), data may still be recovered, but that's an expert job.
And with the current price of USB sticks and external USB harddisks, I really don't understand why you don't have backup.
Tags for this Thread
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read
$199.99

Apple Macintosh DuoDock Duo Dock M7779 & Powerbook 230 Vintage Mac RARE Vintage
$249.00

Apple Macintosh Quadra 605 Vintage Desktop Computer, Model M1476 Untested
$299.00

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00

2X Vintage Apple Macintosh Desktop Computers - IIcx/IIci - Parts Repair Untested
$129.00

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$99.00

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage All-in-One Desktop Computer
$95.00

Mixed Lot Vintage Mac Windows media / Graphics / Sound Software - CDs 37 Pieces
$40.99