Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Windows won't boot - Is Knoppix my hero?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1

    Question Windows won't boot - Is Knoppix my hero?

    My laptop fell from a small chair 2 days ago and since then, Windows won't boot. I am terrified of losing my files because I have many, many, maaaaaaany important things on there! I've been looking up solutions online from my mother's computer and have found many people saying that Knoppix can retrieve my files from my laptop.

    I want to make sure this is true, as well as ask how to go about doing so. Can anyone help me?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by RizaHawkeye View Post
    My laptop fell from a small chair 2 days ago and since then, Windows won't boot. I am terrified of losing my files because I have many, many, maaaaaaany important things on there! I've been looking up solutions online from my mother's computer and have found many people saying that Knoppix can retrieve my files from my laptop.

    I want to make sure this is true, as well as ask how to go about doing so. Can anyone help me?
    It's at least a good chance Knoppix won't be your hero unless you make Google and forum search your good and trusted friends..
    You should look it up, the very short versions are:
    If only booting is affected, you should be able to boot Knoppix from CD/DVD/USB, mount the actual Windows volume(s) and retreieve data from them.
    If the file system is damaged, most will advise specialized recovery/repair tools, those tend to run under Windows.
    If the disk is also severely damaged (more than a number of bad blocks), data may still be recovered, but that's an expert job.

    And with the current price of USB sticks and external USB harddisks, I really don't understand why you don't have backup.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus picture

Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus

$64.95



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



Apple PowerBook 3400c TFT LCD RARE Vintage Laptop untested picture

Apple PowerBook 3400c TFT LCD RARE Vintage Laptop untested

$139.99



Vintage Apple Power Mac G4 Cube Poster (2000) 36 x 24 - Think Different picture

Vintage Apple Power Mac G4 Cube Poster (2000) 36 x 24 - Think Different

$29.99



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99



Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984 picture

Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984

$179.99