Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: my mind is blown

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12

    my mind is blown

    ok, I read an article about knoppix last thursday and being an avid windows user my thoughts were "yeah right, like it could do that" All I was referring to was being able to boot to a cd and have a gui. I downloaded it Friday, played with it Saturday and I'm in love. All the things that can be done with this are phenomenal to me. I've even got the guys at work (we're pc/networking techs) reeling their jaws back up also. Of course they haven't played with it as much but I'm just in awe. Able to browse my ntfs5 partitions, the network, hard drives the bios won't see, internet, persistant home directory, and to be able to put my own tools in the cd and remaster it........what more can I say than wow

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    22
    That is just the beginning. You can also install it locally to the harddrive knx-hdinstall

    And since it is Debian you can use the following to stay up to date.

    apt-get update
    apt-get -s dist-upgrade --- to see what is being upgraded
    apt-get dist-upgrade


    This is the easiest way to get Debian installed locally. :P

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    It is very impressive isn't it? This is exactly the kick-in-the-pants that Linux needed. I too have had several occasions to impress some die-hard wimpdoze users with Knoppix. Especially when an OS that is using half of the system RAM is still faster than M$!! (I just love that part).

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Especially when an OS that is using half of the system RAM is still faster than M$!! (I just love that part).
    I couldn't agree more. Also one thing I do like about this is how easy it is to use. Being a "wimpdoze" fool I'm slowly converting to linux and this is exactly what I need to start getting comfortable with it. That's why I like the live cd. I'm gonna do a hd install in the near future but for now, this rocks. Another observation I've noticed in the past 6 months....if you're around windows people, the don't welcome linux, they're snooty...but if you go to anything linux, they're the nicest people ever welcoming you with open arms. With that being said, why wouldn't somebody go with Linux? Oh, and lindows in my opinion is an embarassment to the linux community.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Carlisle, England
    Posts
    42
    OK newbie question.... how do you know it's using half the system RAM?

    Please reply in plain English!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    OK newbie question.... how do you know it's using half the system RAM?

    Please reply in plain English!
    Open up a term and enter free

    Realize that 'half' is a relative term. On my laptop w/ 160M RAM for example Just running Knoppix with the xfce desktop uses 92M RAM but it's STILL faster than M$ heh-heh

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Carlisle, England
    Posts
    42
    Thanks for that.

Similar Threads

  1. updating HDinstall[never mind]
    By Drezliok in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 07:31 AM
  2. knoppix 3.3 - installation blown usising 'aptitude'
    By Timothy Truckle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 09:26 PM
  3. Blown Away!! Very, very cool
    By desire in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 03:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM SYSTEM X3550 M5 5463AC1 2.5x8 Server 2*XEON E5-2640 V3 8GB SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3550 M5 5463AC1 2.5x8 Server 2*XEON E5-2640 V3 8GB SEE NOTES

$85.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM System x3850 X5 (7145AC1) Server w/ 2x Xeon X760, 32GB +Storage, 2x PSU picture

IBM System x3850 X5 (7145AC1) Server w/ 2x Xeon X760, 32GB +Storage, 2x PSU

$299.99