-
Cloud Hosting
I love Knoppix and want to host a couple of servers in the cloud. Sadly I can't find any providers that support it. Has anyone got hosted servers out there?
Another option I've been looking at is to buy a virtual machine (say VMware) and install it myself. The downside to this is the providers tend to be expensive and I really would prefer if it was supported by the hosting company if something goes wrong. I've looked at Stratogen (http://www.stratogen.net/products/vmware-hosting.html) which could do the trick but it's not really the way I want to do it.
There most be some providers out there that share my love of knoppix!
Thanks for your help.
Pete.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Cloud hosting: Would you care to tell us more about what you want to achieve, and maybe why?
Another option I've been looking at is to buy a virtual machine (say VMware) and install it myself.
For this purpose, I don't think you need to buy anything? Vmware and other vendors have free tools for running virtual machines, and I think there is no problem using a non-free program creating a Knoppix virtual machine. For example, I am a licensed user of Vmware Workstation, and if they want to sue me for using that to create a Knoppix virtual machine and giving it to you, so be it. But I don't think that's a problem at all. Problems come with distribution of e.g. Windows virtual machines, not Linux distros.
There most be some providers out there that share my love of knoppix!
Probably yes, but, when we first go through the pains of creating a virtual machine, is there really much to gain from using Knoppix? I guess I would rather consider 64-bits ordinary Debian (for performance and Knoppix compatibility). It's more of a hassle to set up, yes, but using virtual machines, you only do it once.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$16.41

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

TP-LINK TL-SG108PE 8-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Managed PoE+ Switch 4-Port 64W
$24.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP
$127.00