Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Tar to KNOPPIX

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1

    Tar to KNOPPIX

    Hey all,

    I had some trouble while copying files to remaster knoppix, so I threw them all into a tar file and (over an extended period of time) was able to edit the few files I needed and save them into the tar file, however now I'm in a predicament. The tar file won't allow me to extract everything because of the same errors that I was getting in knoppix (even as root) and I have no idea how to convert the tar file into the KNOPPIX compressed file that's on the CD's.

    Anyone have some advice? I'm running Knoppix 6.2, and the errors I get are all about the file types (special block and such) not being allowed to be moved.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    if you cant extract it with tar -xvf ... There is little hope

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    I would have looked into what produced the problems in the first place. One safe thing to do, is to create a new cloop device, loop-mount a (copy of a) KNOPPIX image on that, and rsync it into a directory for further remastering. That should be unproblematic, no open files, no special files etc. I also wonder why you care remastering Knoppix 6.2,X, as quite a few bugs from these versions are fixed in 6.4.4, and you might get version conflicts working with older packages.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Brand New Genuine Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (Advanced Server) Version 3 picture

Brand New Genuine Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (Advanced Server) Version 3

$39.99



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



LG PCS200S Pro:Centric Server Hospitality TV Management System 1U Rackmount picture

LG PCS200S Pro:Centric Server Hospitality TV Management System 1U Rackmount

$350.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99