-
Senior Member
registered user
With regard to your concern on 'wear' on USB devices, are you
aware of the SD manufacturers' ass'n warnings about using Microsoft
or Linux formatting as opposed to manufacturers' ass'n formatting?
I can dredge up a link if you are interested.
I think this may illustrate the need for a nowear option, as it seems to indicate that the writing pattern (determined in part by formatting) influences flash device lifetime. I myself try to use standard Unix/Linux tools as much as possible, so I think going into this is more for the file tools developers than for me. I haven't had problems with flash device wear by normal use, the biggest threat for mine is getting into the washing machine, which they may or may not survive
.
an option to easily add new boot commands using knoppix.sh
This is very interesting, I think. I consider it as touching upon the boot loader use issues. For example, when I use grub for booting and just enter a standard Knoppix command line for it to run, I don't get the chance of entering boot options manually. Which is, generally, what I want. For me, and many other users, specifying boot options do not belong to normal use. BUT: When you need it, you often need it badly.
dinosep, have you looked into the modifications necessary to implement this? Most of the other suggestions (the boot part of them) should be implementable by modifying minirt.gz, eventually /etc/rc.local - how much more is needed here?
As for discussing such aspects of Knoppix development, I think this forum is nearly perfect. In my opinion, it is much better to approach Klaus K on the Debian Knoppix devel list with suggestions we have already tested ourselves - our friend Ryumbeke does this, and I think it works well. I also think it is better that we try out our ideas on something that is in effect Knoppix derivatives, rather than directly modifying Knoppix itself.
We could, for example, go all the way and make a version using squashfs for the compressed image and grub4dos/grub for all booting (not sure if grub4dos works with CD/DVD though) If we have a small suite of scripts to routinely turn standard Knoppix into this variant, it would make a stronger argument for applying the same changes upstream than just suggest them to Klaus K, I think.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$125.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$298.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$219.99

Protectli Vault FW4C-0-8-120 - 4 port, Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 128GB
$180.00

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50