Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: backpack cdrw

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3

    backpack cdrw

    I have a Microsolutions backpack CDRW. My computer is a Dell Optiplex GX100 so I can't put a burner in the case. Under Mandrake 9.0 the following worked but it will not work in Knoppix:

    root@scott:/home/scott# insmod paride
    Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/block/paride/paride.o
    root@scott:/home/scott# insmod parport_pc
    Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o
    insmod: a module named parport_pc already exists
    root@scott:/home/scott# insmod bpck6
    Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/block/paride/bpck6.o
    root@scott:/home/scott# insmod pg
    Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/block/paride/pg.o
    Cdrecord 2.01a14 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jörg Schilling
    Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
    scsibus0:
    cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
    0,0,0 0) 'SAMSUNG ' 'CD-ROM SN-124 ' 'q009' Removable CD-ROM
    0,1,0 1) *
    0,2,0 2) *
    0,3,0 3) *
    0,4,0 4) *
    0,5,0 5) *
    0,6,0 6) *
    0,7,0 7) *
    scsibus1:
    1,0,0 100) 'SanDisk ' 'ImageMate II ' '1.30' Removable Disk
    1,1,0 101) *
    1,2,0 102) *
    1,3,0 103) *
    1,4,0 104) *
    1,5,0 105) *
    1,6,0 106) *
    1,7,0 107) *

    If I use insmod pcd instead of pg I can mount it and read a disk but I cannot get it to register for burning. Any help appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    have you checked if /dev/pg(or is it pg0) exist ?

    I tried KNOPPIX(an April version) with my HP 7200E(also parallel port CD-RW) and remembered that I have to create the device node manually as it doesn't have one. after that, everything works.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3
    no it doesn't exist. I would appreciate it if you could determine which one it should be and give me a quick tutorial on how to create it. I'm still very much a newbie.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by scocrys
    no it doesn't exist. I would appreciate it if you could determine which one it should be and give me a quick tutorial on how to create it. I'm still very much a newbie.

    Thanks
    Open a console and su then enter the root password then cd /dev to change to the /dev directory then ./MAKEDEV pg to create the devices. example below:
    Code:
    [01:03 PM Sat Jun 14: stephen @ ~]
    >$ su
    Password:
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# cd /dev
    HappyTux:/dev# ./MAKEDEV -n pg
    create pg0      c 97 0 root:root 0600
    create pg1      c 97 1 root:root 0600
    create pg2      c 97 2 root:root 0600
    create pg3      c 97 3 root:root 0600
    I used the -n option which simulates the action of MAKEDEV.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3
    Thank You,
    That worked perfectly.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    miami, fl
    Posts
    21
    I am also try to get a microsolutions usb/parallel port cdrw to work. thw microsolution website talks about two modules bpck.o and bcpk6.o. How do I check if it is loaded in the kernel. lsmod? insmod?

    I try to do everything that I have read in this thread and I can't get it to work.

    i try the cd /dev, ./MAKEDEV pg
    but at that point I don't get a response like create pg0 c 97 0 root:root 0600

    What is it that I am not understanding or that I am doing wrong?

Similar Threads

  1. CDR -v- CDRW
    By keithb in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 08:49 AM
  2. Backpack CD or CD-RW drive
    By slorge in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 06:18 AM
  3. Backpack CD
    By dayne517 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2003, 02:53 AM
  4. Backpack CD
    By dayne517 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2003, 11:38 PM
  5. Where is my CDRW?
    By Viro in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-26-2003, 07:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$81.99



ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used picture

ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used

$220.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B365M-PLUS LGA 1151 DDR4 8th/9th Gen Intel B365 Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B365M-PLUS LGA 1151 DDR4 8th/9th Gen Intel B365 Motherboard

$89.00