Results 1 to 10 of 57

Thread: Revised version of Remastering HowTo

Threaded View

  1. #22
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    @ Capricorny

    You force me to reveal yet another layer of my ignorance.
    I think I've done poor man's installs to linux-formatted partitions,
    but I thought the rule was NEVER to write linux stuff to ntfs.
    Virtual box didn't seem like a violation of that rule.
    Kindly point me to some reading material.
    Re-formatting was my initial interest; VirtualBox is interesting,
    but I can come back to that.
    No, I don't think you are ignorant! Conventional wisdom is don't write to NTFS, and for general,unrestricted use, I think that is still the safest advice. But poor man's installs are somewhat simpler than the general case, as just a few files are written, and except for knoppix-data.img, the rest are, mostly, read-only.

    I have heard few reports of problems using NTFS this way, and I did my first poor man's install to NTFS/Win7 a few weeks ago - I try to avoid it, but not at any cost. Seems to work very well, and the same method that is used for creating the persistent image can be used for creating a larger volume for working - so you can effectively have two (or more) Linux partitions residing on an NTFS file system.

    Again, I would try to minimize writing to NTFS, but for setting up a workplace for remastering, it should be ok. For permanent storage, I would have tried to shrink NTFS to make room for a native Linux partition, but I have no grave objections to using NTFS for a poor man's install - provided there are good back-up routines in place. After all, we only have to take care of one single file, and if the "install" gets corrupted, we just clean up and copy the files to disk once more.

    Oh, and I should add: From Win7 viewpoint, cleaning up after such an install is just a matter of normal deletion of a few files. There is a small element of unsafety in that NTFS is mounted rw at /mnt-system - which means you have "automatic" access to all Windows files - also for corrupting them. But as long as you stay within /UNIONFS, there is not much of a danger AFAIK.
    Last edited by Capricorny; 07-11-2011 at 12:04 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



Samsung Galaxy Book2 12inch Silver FHD+ TOUCH Snapdragon 850 2.96 GHz 4GB 128GB picture

Samsung Galaxy Book2 12inch Silver FHD+ TOUCH Snapdragon 850 2.96 GHz 4GB 128GB

$160.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working

$30.00



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



Samsung Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 15.6 i7-1260P 16GB 1TB SSD Laptop FAST SHIP picture

Samsung Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 15.6 i7-1260P 16GB 1TB SSD Laptop FAST SHIP

$349.99



Original for Samsung NP950QCG-K01US LCD Screen Touch Full Top Assembly FHD Blue picture

Original for Samsung NP950QCG-K01US LCD Screen Touch Full Top Assembly FHD Blue

$299.00