Results 1 to 10 of 57

Thread: Revised version of Remastering HowTo

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    110
    Where is the revised version of Remaster? (url) Looking at the above post from Schlz I am lead to belive that I can install to flash or hard disk and make my changes there.? I need to make my changes / add or remove packages then start terminal services and the clients have access to the changes Ive made. I need also to auto start things like rdesktop or vm view or have the icons launchable from the desktop when the clients start . Any help or directions here? Thanks greatly!

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Where is the revised version of Remaster? (url)
    Remastering HowTo

    ... you can combine:
    1. remaster Knoppix
    2. "Flash disk Installation" of remastered Knoppix (Install FAQ)

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.7.0 remaster)
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 08-04-2011 at 11:39 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    110
    Ok Ive Selected Flash Disk Install and all seems to have installed to the flash disk. I set size for persistent home. So if I understand correctly I can now remove things that I dont want and add apps that I wish? Then once thats done an iso of this flash install can be created?

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Oh, no! You can remaster a Knoppix with all your changes as you prefer. Then do a "Flash disk Installation" of this remastered ISO. In this Flash disk Installation you can additional changes and they will be stored in the persistent memory. But you cannot create a new ISO of "remasterd ISO" + "persistent memory".

    Why? If you for example purge GIMP and then remaster Knoppix, then GIMP isn't in the new ISO. The new ISO is not as big as before.

    But if you "purge" GIMP in the Flash disk installation. then GIMP isn't really purged. It remains in the compressed filesystem KNOPPIX; only some remarks will be done in the UNIONFS to make GIMP invisible.

    Now, if you try to build a new ISO using your Flash disk Installation, then there would be no benefit; all is as big as before.

    That is the reason, why I prefer remastering first. I get a small ISO to burn on CD or to use for Flash disk Installation. And a small ISO boots faster than a big one.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Oh, no! You can remaster a Knoppix with all your changes as you prefer. Then do a "Flash disk Installation" of this remastered ISO. In this Flash disk Installation you can additional changes and they will be stored in the persistent memory. But you cannot create a new ISO of "remasterd ISO" + "persistent memory".

    Why? If you for example purge GIMP and then remaster Knoppix, then GIMP isn't in the new ISO. The new ISO is not as big as before.

    But if you "purge" GIMP in the Flash disk installation. then GIMP isn't really purged. It remains in the compressed filesystem KNOPPIX; only some remarks will be done in the UNIONFS to make GIMP invisible.

    Now, if you try to build a new ISO using your Flash disk Installation, then there would be no benefit; all is as big as before.

    That is the reason, why I prefer remastering first. I get a small ISO to burn on CD or to use for Flash disk Installation. And a small ISO boots faster than a big one.
    This is one of the reasons we include a copying step in our "poor man's remastering" process: rsyncing most of /UNIONFS from a flash install to a new directory, we purge all removed packages, and then create a new isofs/squashfs. I know that some of the remasterers of live Ubuntu have just created the new image directly from the aufs-mounted system. This goes faster, but I don't think it is as safe. Also, I myself prefer not working from a live file system.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    But if you "purge" GIMP in the Flash disk installation. then GIMP isn't really purged. It remains in the compressed filesystem KNOPPIX; only some remarks will be done in the UNIONFS to make GIMP invisible.

    Now, if you try to build a new ISO using your Flash disk Installation, then there would be no benefit; all is as big as before.
    Hmm it depends. It depends on ***HOW*** you remaster your ISO using the flash disk installation. If one does it the correct way, it is possible to remaster the new ISO to make it smaller ( ie leave out the deleted files). In fact, ***ALL** the remaster of flash installation mentioned in this forum, one of the purposes is to make the ISO/compressed file system smaller.

    So if one asks me which should come first, flash installation or remaster ? I would say flash install first. Flash install first, customize it the way you want it to be. Test it fully, 3 months or later, then remaster.

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Hmm it depends. It depends on ***HOW*** you remaster your ISO using the flash disk installation. If one does it the correct way, it is possible to remaster the new ISO to make it smaller ( ie leave out the deleted files).
    Have you a script example, how to do this?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Have you a script example, how to do this?
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...allation/page2

    Forester who has disappeared from this forum has written a few scripts on this. I must admit that I haven't tried any of his scripts and I also don't really know which is the latest and best, but I believe he has gotten the essence of flash remaster, which is to clean up the wiped-out files.

    My original post requires a huge disk space to be allocated for the remaster. But I believe he took the idea one step further, he probably remaster based on the structure of flash installation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



Intel® Integrated RAID Mezzanine Module RMS3HC080 SAS/SATA H24093-204 picture

Intel® Integrated RAID Mezzanine Module RMS3HC080 SAS/SATA H24093-204

$24.97