Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: Self-Contained Backup for Persistent-Store

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    That's entirely up to you. The reason I suggested this, is that most of the more "evolved" modification ideas involve minirt.gz and /init. Including yours, I think I know about 5-7 modifications, which could be implemented as patches.

    Using a 2 GB liveUSB surely belongs to the sports department these days, yes, but that does not make it uninteresting. Rather the contrary, it is very useful for proofs of concept. And BTW, to create a pure 64 bits Knoppix we should probably start with the CD package selection, and stay around there until issues are resolved satisfactorily. Also, for pure forensic purposes, the CD size install is the best, I think.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Thanks for your comments.
    I'll have to find and review those other minirt offerings.
    I can remember Forester doing some squash things, but I
    never understood why, let alone how.
    ________

    I know the Knoppix CD has a 64-bit kernel option,
    but I thought I'd heard it's very light on 64-bit apps.

    Even tho' my machine is 64-bits, I stay with 32-bit apps just
    to avoid any 64-bit hassles. I'm obviously not a power-user;
    I just want things to work.

    My Windows 7 is 64-bits, but my major app is Open/LibreOffice,
    and the 32-bit version is smarter than I am. Works just as
    well on 2 Gb 32-bit Knoppix as 350 Gb 64-bit Win7 for what I do.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I know the Knoppix CD has a 64-bit kernel option,
    but I thought I'd heard it's very light on 64-bit apps.

    Even tho' my machine is 64-bits, I stay with 32-bit apps just
    to avoid any 64-bit hassles. I'm obviously not a power-user;
    I just want things to work.

    My Windows 7 is 64-bits, but my major app is Open/LibreOffice,
    and the 32-bit version is smarter than I am. Works just as
    well on 2 Gb 32-bit Knoppix as 350 Gb 64-bit Win7 for what I do.
    Yes, in your case you can safely stay with 32-bits. But you may try out running with 64-bits kernel. That has helped me in a number of situations.

    64-bits today is mostly for special things, like computing on 4GB data arrays etc. But when you need it, you often need it badly, which is why I would like to get a pure 64-bits Knoppix.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99