-
Senior Member
registered user
This means that it's probably hard to fit everything in one 4GB cloop image, but we may use as many such as we like, and everything will still fit on a 8GB pendrive.
I think that Knoppix 6.4.4 supports up to 10 cloop images (KNOPPIX or KNOPPIX0 ... KNOPPIX9 in the "$knoppix_dir"). But how do you decide which files are to be put in a certain cloop image? Does it matter in which order they are loaded by the init script?
The only major problem has been with postgresql, can't get it to install.
If you could explain more details someone might be able to help you a bit further.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
klaus2008
I think that Knoppix 6.4.4 supports up to 10 cloop images (KNOPPIX or KNOPPIX0 ... KNOPPIX9 in the "$knoppix_dir"). But how do you decide which files are to be put in a certain cloop image? Does it matter in which order they are loaded by the init script?
If you could explain more details someone might be able to help you a bit further.
The cloop handling is automatic upon init, has been able to handle several cloops for a long time, just we haven't normally used it lately. As everything gets merged in /UNIONFS, I don't think it matters very much how we partition the loops. As the 4GB limit is just because of FAT32 (+ evt DVDs), I think I will start just creating one image, and proceed from there. Maybe the best candidate for a partition is to keep /usr/share by itself - currently that one is 6.2GB, almost half the whole system footprint. Second largest is /usr/lib, at 4.2GB. SO, one of those will have to be handled separately, I think. The only large installed program currently outside the package system is VMware, and it wouldn't help enough to place that on its own.
I didn't implicitly ask for help with postgresql, just noted there are problems with the latest 64-bits debian package(s). There are several ways to sort that out, but as I try to make this whole enterprise as easily reproducible as possible, I try to stick to the standard downloadable packages, latest versions, as much as possible. Postgresql is there mainly for completeness, as this is a server-oriented version, I don't presently use it myself.
What I could need advice about, it that .gvfs - it's kind of special Gnome directory, and even root has permission denied on it!!!
Code:
du: cannot access `/home/knoppix/.gvfs': Permission denied
What's going on here? I don't know the underlying fs. Reiserfs, at all, maybe a cleanup will help.
-
Senior Member
registered user
There are 4787 packages installed currently. So I think 5000 packages is kind uf upper practical limit for what is in any sense reasonable to pre-install in this context.
The compressed cloop image, non-optimized compression, is 7.8GB. Including almost 1GB /var.
Which means that we can easily divide into two <4GB images, where the second will be for the specially interested. (Virtualization, Oracle XE, math, science)
So, it seems, 64 bits doesn't mean that much increase in system size.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit
$399.00

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower
$16.99

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67

Electric Air Duster Blower High Power Cordless Cleaner for PC Laptop Keyboard
$17.99