-
Keyboard Back to German After Remaster
When I try and remaster Knoppix 6.4.4 for some reason the keyboard defaults back to the German layout instead of the US layout. I'm not sure why this is happening as I can remaster versions of 6.2 in the same way without the keyboard changing. I don't know at what point in the boot process the change is occurring as I can enter cheat codes with the keyboard still in the US layout. Even if I boot using the 'knoppix lang=us' cheat code however, the keyboard still defaults back to German after boot finishes.
If you need any additional information let me know and I will be happy to provide. Thanks in advance for any help.
-
... which version of Knoppix do you use, EN or DE version?
Try the cheatcode 'knoppix lang=us keyboard=us xkeyboard=us'
Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)
-
EN, when running the original Knoppix off the CD the keyboard is fine, only when I use the remaster it do I have problems.
Using the cheatcode 'knoppix lang=us keyboard=us xkeyboard=us' results in the same issue with the keyboard still in the incorrect layout.
-
... I replied to your Message Inbox.
-
Ok I have finally found a solution to my problem with thanks going to Werner for tremendous amounts of help 
After some playing around I found that the command 'loadkeys us' would successfully change my keyboard layout from de to us. But since I am remastering this image for another user, I needed to plan for as little input on their part as possible (the system should be working as they need it when it starts up). To avoid having them type the loadkeys command each time the system boots, I created an extremely basic script to just run the command:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo changing keyboard layout
loadkeys us
Obviously the echo line was for testing purposes and can be omitted. I placed this script in a folder where a few other unrelated scripts are running at boot (/etc/rcS.d) and was pleased to see that it actually worked as intended.
I'm still not sure why the keyboard was changing to German in the first place since I was using the En version of Knoppix, but this workaround will suit my needs. Hopefully this solution will help some other people as I had been searching for some time and could not find any working solution.
Once again many thanks to Werner as I could not have reached this solution without his assistance.
-
... not worth mentioning my help. But your little script is a patchwork, not a solution for an error you get while using either an out-of-date or buggy remastering description.
-
Senior Member
registered user
System-wide changes may be placed in /etc/rc.local - before the final exit 0 line there. Don't know if that is an optimal or even usable place to set keyboard layout, though.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

1TB 7.2K RPM SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Enterprise HDD for PowerEdge Servers | G14 Tray
$117.99

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX
$14.99

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC
$115.00