Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Keyboard Back to German After Remaster

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3

    Keyboard Back to German After Remaster

    When I try and remaster Knoppix 6.4.4 for some reason the keyboard defaults back to the German layout instead of the US layout. I'm not sure why this is happening as I can remaster versions of 6.2 in the same way without the keyboard changing. I don't know at what point in the boot process the change is occurring as I can enter cheat codes with the keyboard still in the US layout. Even if I boot using the 'knoppix lang=us' cheat code however, the keyboard still defaults back to German after boot finishes.

    If you need any additional information let me know and I will be happy to provide. Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... which version of Knoppix do you use, EN or DE version?

    Try the cheatcode 'knoppix lang=us keyboard=us xkeyboard=us'

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3
    EN, when running the original Knoppix off the CD the keyboard is fine, only when I use the remaster it do I have problems.

    Using the cheatcode 'knoppix lang=us keyboard=us xkeyboard=us' results in the same issue with the keyboard still in the incorrect layout.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... I replied to your Message Inbox.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3
    Ok I have finally found a solution to my problem with thanks going to Werner for tremendous amounts of help

    After some playing around I found that the command 'loadkeys us' would successfully change my keyboard layout from de to us. But since I am remastering this image for another user, I needed to plan for as little input on their part as possible (the system should be working as they need it when it starts up). To avoid having them type the loadkeys command each time the system boots, I created an extremely basic script to just run the command:

    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    
    echo changing keyboard layout
    loadkeys us
    Obviously the echo line was for testing purposes and can be omitted. I placed this script in a folder where a few other unrelated scripts are running at boot (/etc/rcS.d) and was pleased to see that it actually worked as intended.

    I'm still not sure why the keyboard was changing to German in the first place since I was using the En version of Knoppix, but this workaround will suit my needs. Hopefully this solution will help some other people as I had been searching for some time and could not find any working solution.

    Once again many thanks to Werner as I could not have reached this solution without his assistance.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... not worth mentioning my help. But your little script is a patchwork, not a solution for an error you get while using either an out-of-date or buggy remastering description.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    System-wide changes may be placed in /etc/rc.local - before the final exit 0 line there. Don't know if that is an optimal or even usable place to set keyboard layout, though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested picture

Atari 800XL Home Computer 64K RAM in Original Box 1984 Olympic Edition Untested

$149.99



Broken Indus GT Floppy Disk Drive for Atari picture

Broken Indus GT Floppy Disk Drive for Atari

$129.99



Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on picture

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on

$255.00



Atari 800XL 8-bit Home Computer Video Game System - **UNTESTED PARTS OR REPAIR** picture

Atari 800XL 8-bit Home Computer Video Game System - **UNTESTED PARTS OR REPAIR**

$89.99



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Rare FOR PARTS OR REPAIR READ picture

Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Rare FOR PARTS OR REPAIR READ

$270.00