-
Skype and Abiword or similar
Hi, as I mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I'm new to Knoppix, but not to Linux. I've been an Ubuntu long term newby for some years. I'm trying Knoppix for a change. I've installed it on a flash drive and I like it. Being old, my computing needs are not great. Two things I'd like are Skype(grandkids gave me a cam thing - didn't work on Ubuntu - knoppix saw it straight away). So how do I get Skype. And, - not Abiword especially,- but LibreOffice takes forever to load. My computers (I have 3 Linux only), are out-of-date things handed down to me by geekish grandkids. Its become a hobby............sarum
-
Senior Member
registered user
Since you mention LibreOffice, I assume you are running 6.4.4 - otherwise install that.
I have used Skype on Knoppix 6.2.1 - it worked, but not perfectly, on a 3 year old computer. So, it can be done, but old hardware may be too slow/limited. You might try to reinstall/upgrade LibreOffice to make it run faster, it shouldn't be that much of a resource hog. What does top tell you about the state of the system during the too-slow-conditions?
I assume that you have stuffed as much memory as possible into the machine(s). Upgrading from 512 to 2048M on a 5 year old Asus A3hf made a difference for me.
Oh, and I forgot three things:
1. You aren't on a USB1 port? Think some old computers may have a mix of USB1 and 2 drives, like many nowadays have a mix of USB2 and 3.
2. Tried a faster pendrive? You can get them beyond 20MB/s with USB2 - that's not far from some internal 5400 rpm disks.
3. Tried to copy KNOPPIX to hard disk and run from there? Can make everything simpler and speedier - yue can still boot from the pendrive, but you run from HD copy of Knoppix.
Last edited by Capricorny; 07-14-2011 at 02:14 PM.
-
Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm now using Knoppix on my Ubuntu computer, but only on 'live CD' mode. I suppose it's obvious but I didn't realise that USB2 and 4GB of ram would make so much difference. Thanks for your help...sarum
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Commodore 128 C128 Personal Computer For Parts/No Power Supply
$149.95

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller
$39.99

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW
$11.99

Commodore OS Vision 3.0 | Bootable USB Install | Linux Gaming OS
$24.99

Vintage C64 Commodore 64 Computer Console For Parts or Repair - Basketcase Unit
$49.99

Commodore 64 Personal Computer w Power Supply-TV Hookup-Paperwork-Original Box
$139.00

Vintage Commodore 128 Computer Powers On Not Tested with Power Supply
$169.99

Commodore 64 & VIC-20 BASIC & Kernel ROM Replacement Adapter - USA seller
$17.99

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller
$39.99

Commodore C128 Comp w/ Original Box TESTED & WORKING + Original & PETG Key Plung
$260.98