Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Skype and Abiword or similar

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4

    Skype and Abiword or similar

    Hi, as I mentioned elsewhere on this forum, I'm new to Knoppix, but not to Linux. I've been an Ubuntu long term newby for some years. I'm trying Knoppix for a change. I've installed it on a flash drive and I like it. Being old, my computing needs are not great. Two things I'd like are Skype(grandkids gave me a cam thing - didn't work on Ubuntu - knoppix saw it straight away). So how do I get Skype. And, - not Abiword especially,- but LibreOffice takes forever to load. My computers (I have 3 Linux only), are out-of-date things handed down to me by geekish grandkids. Its become a hobby............sarum

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Since you mention LibreOffice, I assume you are running 6.4.4 - otherwise install that.
    I have used Skype on Knoppix 6.2.1 - it worked, but not perfectly, on a 3 year old computer. So, it can be done, but old hardware may be too slow/limited. You might try to reinstall/upgrade LibreOffice to make it run faster, it shouldn't be that much of a resource hog. What does top tell you about the state of the system during the too-slow-conditions?

    I assume that you have stuffed as much memory as possible into the machine(s). Upgrading from 512 to 2048M on a 5 year old Asus A3hf made a difference for me.

    Oh, and I forgot three things:
    1. You aren't on a USB1 port? Think some old computers may have a mix of USB1 and 2 drives, like many nowadays have a mix of USB2 and 3.
    2. Tried a faster pendrive? You can get them beyond 20MB/s with USB2 - that's not far from some internal 5400 rpm disks.
    3. Tried to copy KNOPPIX to hard disk and run from there? Can make everything simpler and speedier - yue can still boot from the pendrive, but you run from HD copy of Knoppix.
    Last edited by Capricorny; 07-14-2011 at 02:14 PM.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4
    Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm now using Knoppix on my Ubuntu computer, but only on 'live CD' mode. I suppose it's obvious but I didn't realise that USB2 and 4GB of ram would make so much difference. Thanks for your help...sarum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B  607-0103-C  607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++ picture

Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B 607-0103-C 607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++

$169.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic

$100.00



READ - UNTESTED Apple Macintosh PowerBook 160 M4550 Vintage Laptop picture

READ - UNTESTED Apple Macintosh PowerBook 160 M4550 Vintage Laptop

$299.00



READ - Vintage Apple Macintosh SE/30 - Boots picture

READ - Vintage Apple Macintosh SE/30 - Boots

$850.00



Vintage 1983 Apple II ProDOS User's Kit Computer Software NEW SEALED A2D2010 picture

Vintage 1983 Apple II ProDOS User's Kit Computer Software NEW SEALED A2D2010

$64.95



Vintage Apple Computer 3.5 Floppy Drive EMPTY BOX picture

Vintage Apple Computer 3.5 Floppy Drive EMPTY BOX

$29.99



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works

$169.99



Vintage 1992 Mac System 7.1P1 Apple Software 3.5” Floppy Disks NOS picture

Vintage 1992 Mac System 7.1P1 Apple Software 3.5” Floppy Disks NOS

$35.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99



Apple cloth fabric banner iBook tangerine orange New Old Stock Vintage picture

Apple cloth fabric banner iBook tangerine orange New Old Stock Vintage

$99.00