-
"Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card"
Hi,
I'm new to Linux alltogether, I'm trying to make the change from a Windows Background.
I was pointed to Knoppix and the release that I currently have on Cd is Knoppix 3.2 21/03/2003 Beta.
I have a new Dell Optiplex GX260 which is capable of loading knoppix. Eventially I wanto to be able to Dual-boot with Knoppix and windows 2000.
I am able to load Knoppix on CD if I do the following commands.
Knoppix testcd or knoppix failsafe.
Once I try to run knoppix on its own, I get the following errors.
Starting X11.....
Retrying with Server XFree86 (vesa).
Retrying with Server XFree86 (fbdev).
Error: No Suitable X-Server found for your card.
I have tried many cheat codes, but I always get the same message.
Also I have tried to go into expert mode and edit XF86Config.
None of these attempts were successful.
Here are some of my settings when loading up:
Video is ATI|Radeon RV200 QW [Radeon 7500], using XFree86 (radeon) Server
Monitor is DELe000, H:30-80KHz, V:56-85Hz
Using Modes "1024X768" "800X600" "640X480"
If anyone can help me, it will be appreciated as i want to install Knoppix to my harddrive as soon as possible.
Thanks
Iss
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: "Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card&qu

Originally Posted by
iss
Video is ATI|Radeon RV200 QW [Radeon 7500], using XFree86 (radeon) Server
Monitor is DELe000, H:30-80KHz, V:56-85Hz
Using Modes "1024X768" "800X600" "640X480"
Try xmodule=radeon or xmodule=ati
And I would also suggest posting the output of "sudo lspci -v" (only the part about your card) so Klaus Knopper cn add it to the autodetect scripts.
-
Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card&qu
Hi guys
Did you fixed that error, because i get the same and i dont know what to do
thanks
-
Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card
Hi guys,
I tried both xmodule=radeon or xmodule=ati and they were both unsuccessful.
Here are the results of the sudo lspci -v command:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 7500 QW (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 103a
Flags: Stepping, 66Mhz, medium devsel, IRQ 16
Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
I/O ports at ec00 [size=256]
Memory at ff8f0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)[size=64K]
Expansion ROM at 80000000 [disabled][size=128k]
Capabilities: [58] AGP version 2.0
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Any Suggestions will be welcomed.
Thanks,
Iss
-
Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card
Hi guys,
I have some more information, which should be helpful.
Here are some errors that comeup when booting:
1) Error: One processor only found.
PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource collisions.
2) Autoconfiguring devices ____ insmod: insmod: a module named input already exists
insmod: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/input/input.o failed
insmod: insmod: insmod usbmouse failed
______________________ Done.
Also I did some more testing with some more cheat codes
and there were two parameters that brought back some
results these were:
1 - nofirewire - Knoppix booted successfully, but the problem was
that my usb mouse didn't work, however my
usb keyboard worked.
2 - nousb - Knoppix booted successfully and both my usb mouse
and usb keyboard worked.
I hope this info will be of assistants.
Thanks,
Iss
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card

Originally Posted by
iss
1) Error: One processor only found.
PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource collisions.
2) Autoconfiguring devices ____ insmod: insmod: a module named input already exists
insmod: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/drivers/input/input.o failed
insmod: insmod: insmod usbmouse failed
______________________ Done.
Sounds like IRQ conflicts to me.
Also I did some more testing with some more cheat codes
and there were two parameters that brought back some
results these were:
1 -
nofirewire - Knoppix booted successfully, but the problem was
that my usb mouse didn't work, however my
usb keyboard worked.
2 -
nousb - Knoppix booted successfully and both my usb mouse
and usb keyboard worked.
I hope this info will be of assistants.
Thanks,
Iss
Now this is EXACTLY what I am referring to in my sig line. Thank you iss for taking the time to post what YOU did to resolve your problems. RIGHT ON!
So many people have all the time in the world when they need something fixed on their system but it's funny how so many of them are just too busy to post back with results whether they be good OR bad. I'm sure that if any of you reading this have searched the forums you have encountered several dead-end posts. You thought you had something you could use only to get to an end that has no resolution. THAT SUCKS!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card
yes, I have exactly the same problem with the Dell OptiPlex GX260.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card

Originally Posted by
iss
1) Error: One processor only found.
PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource collisions.
I hope we're not overlooking the obvious here. Have you guys tried:
boot: nosmp
Similar Threads
-
By oded in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-23-2004, 03:40 PM
-
By softbomber in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-30-2004, 12:20 PM
-
By phillfri in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-26-2003, 01:52 AM
-
By akira28 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-02-2003, 11:52 PM
-
By Rudeboy in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-31-2003, 07:05 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R730xd 12Bay3.5, 7x3tb w Trays, 32Gb, 2x12c V4, H730
$500.00

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00