Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Games in Linux question by newbie

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3

    Games in Linux question by newbie

    Hello,

    First of all, sorry if this is a common question.
    Second, I play a lot of games, especially Star Trek Armada 2 and Star Trek Bridge Commander.
    But I am fed up with Windows, so I am thinking of switching to Linux, now my question is, can I play games that are meant for Windows in Linux (with or without another program) in any way?

    I have asked the manufacturer, but they don't reply.

    Thanks for your time,

    mldaalder

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: Games in Linux question by newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by mldaalder
    ...I am fed up with Windows, so I am thinking of switching to Linux, now my question is, can I play games that are meant for Windows in Linux (with or without another program) in any way?
    Wine is on the disk, a program which provides support for Windows programs running under Linux. There is also a game-optimized version, called WineX, available from http://www.transgaming.com -- I have not tried it, but you can ask arond that site for more info.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3
    Thanks!

    I check that out, if it works then I can finaly seal that MicroFracture.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3
    I have knoppix now, it has wine, so would that also work for games?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by mldaalder
    I have knoppix now, it has wine, so would that also work for games?
    Give it a try and find out that's really the only way to tell anyway.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Winex has a lot of extra stuff in it not in stock Wine. I don't think that wine will work nearly as well with your games.

    You really should check out the following page for more info on Wine and Winex:

    http://franksworld.net/

    It's a very good resource for this stuff.

Similar Threads

  1. Asking about games under linux
    By tarekeldeeb in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-17-2005, 02:15 PM
  2. pc games re linux
    By styven in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 12:15 AM
  3. New to linux and knoppix and some newbie question.
    By Shaba1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 01:41 AM
  4. newbie question
    By gt300 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2004, 06:32 PM
  5. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



M321R4GA0BB0-CQK Samsung 32GB PC5-38400 DDR5-4800MHz Registered ECC CL40 RDIMM picture

M321R4GA0BB0-CQK Samsung 32GB PC5-38400 DDR5-4800MHz Registered ECC CL40 RDIMM

$949.00



LOT OF 15 Samsung 8GB DDR4-2933 ECC RDIMM 1Rx8 M393A1K43DB1-CVFBY 120GB picture

LOT OF 15 Samsung 8GB DDR4-2933 ECC RDIMM 1Rx8 M393A1K43DB1-CVFBY 120GB

$529.00



Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC picture

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC

$4.95



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79