-
Knoppix failure to boot on Asus desktop
Hi,
Have a 1-1/2 year-old ASUS desktop running Intel core i7, with 9 GB RAM. I am using Knoppix 5.3.1 (because I think it's the latest version with a Fortran compiler) on three different HP desktops and several laptops at work. I've booted from both a DVD and a bootable Knoppix USB stick successfully everywhere except on the ASUS. During boot, right after it finishes looking for a firewire port, it says "Can't find Knoppix file system. Dropping you to busybox shell. /static/ash: can't access tty: job control turned off."
Thanks kindly for any help.
Rheologuy
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Rheologuy
Hi,
Have a 1-1/2 year-old ASUS desktop running Intel core i7, with 9 GB RAM. I am using Knoppix 5.3.1 (because I think it's the latest version with a Fortran compiler) on three different HP desktops and several laptops at work. I've booted from both a DVD and a bootable Knoppix USB stick successfully everywhere except on the ASUS. During boot, right after it finishes looking for a firewire port, it says "Can't find Knoppix file system. Dropping you to busybox shell. /static/ash: can't access tty: job control turned off."
Thanks kindly for any help.
Rheologuy
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE try Knoppix 6.4.4, DVD version. The Fortran compiler argument is nonsense today - you set up a persistent store, and install whatever compilers you need. I have installed tens of R packages, most from source, and run lots of compiles, including Fortran on a Asus (laptop) of about that age. As for booting, I'm running 6.4.4 on four different Asus computers never a problem. But 5.3.1 is rather old, and Klaus K doesn't attempt prophetical hardware detection, methinks.
-
OK, OK, OK!
Thanks for the reply.
Rheologuy
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14" 16GB, Thunder Black
$387.46

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 14" Ryzen 5 4500U 2.38 GHz 16GB 256GB NVMe Win 11 Pro
$215.99