I haven't tried it but one part of the documentation catches my attention is about the ability to select the kernel optimized for your hardware. I think this feature nice.
I've just installed the new PCLinuxOS MiniMe KDE 11.07 to
a 4 Gb SanDisk USB with very satisfactory results. This is
a minimal initial LiveUSB install that allows you to make
your own final product via synaptic.
The only problem I had was that MiniMe would not retain a
1366x resolution at first. The developer corrected that
in about two or three e-mail turns.
This might provide some here with a diversion while waiting
for whatever comes after Knoppix 6.4.4. I recommend it.
Among the enticements are squashfs, 2.6.38.8 'bfs' kernel, and
wireless that handles my Broadcom wifi (not many distros do).
http://www.pclinuxos.com/
I haven't tried it but one part of the documentation catches my attention is about the ability to select the kernel optimized for your hardware. I think this feature nice.
Strange you should mention it.
The distro signed me up for- and installed- an upgraded kernel on install.
I expected I'd have to order one up special via synaptic,
but it anticipated me.
Just getting accustomed to it, not sure how much Gbs it's using.
Takes 1min 43sec to go from start of boot to on-line.
About the same as Knoppix 6.4.4 with network manager.
Knoppix offers two kernels for selection, one is 32 bit and another is 64bit, and the user has to manually make the choice. The 32bit kernel is based on 486 which is far too old. The 64bit kernel is far too new.
Based on what I read, PCLinuxOS the kernel choices are a lot more. And does it automatically make the recommended choice for the users or the users still have to make the choice ?
I think I ordered up a 32-bit LiveCD.
I recall a note to the effect that a 2cpu i686 was recognized,
and a 'bfs' kernel was automatically selected and installed.
I had only expected a run-of-the-mill kernel, and
was planning to see what synaptic had to offer.
I had no plans toward 64bit, since I have no great power needs.
Usually, for me, 64bit choices have resulted in unnecessary problems
with ordinary applications. I try to avoid this.
One thumb up for its order the kernel feature !
How about the GUI ? Is it impressisive ?
I am pretty stucked with 3-D compiz and glx-dock myself. Anything less 3-D does not impress me anymore.
I noticed that the distro has great tendency to dispense "bleeding edge" software to the users. Perhaps it might affect stability/quality, does it ?
The current offering is KDE.
Not my favorite, but comparable to LXDE in its offerings.
The developer has put out LXDE and other desktops in the past.
Took me a few hours to get used to the fiddleware differences.
Compiz my least favorite element. 0.8.4.3 is available via synaptic.
Quality of the distro is exceptional, and the developer stays tuned to the forum for complaints.
I am attracted to 'mylivecd' , a menu choice to provide an iso of your current LiveUSB.
That's cutting edge enough for me.

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$94.95