Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: HDD recovery problems, not visible in Testdisk or GParted

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4

    Question HDD recovery problems, not visible in Testdisk or GParted

    Hello forums!
    Got a bit of a problem with a WD 2TB HDD. Ever since I moved my computer to my new place I haven't been able to access this drive. It shows in file manager as 'DATA' mounted at sdb1 which would be correct but it seems to always be busy, can't do anything with it. It won't show up in Testdisk or GParted. I managed to unmount it via terminal and still nothing. Originally I was able to view it in Knoppix but the partition table was messed up. I had tried restoring it with Testdisk to no avail. Eventually it stopped showing up in Testdisk and GParted at which point I gave up (A few months ago).

    Now I just want my drive back, I've given up on recovering the data (although that would be fantastic) I just can't make do with my little 500 GB backup drive anymore, those 2 TBs would really come in handy. The drive shows in BIOS as well, just not useable from knoppix. It shows in Windows as a drive but has no info. It does have correct information in Knoppix regarding size and gives a believable reading for free space from what I remember.
    Does anyone have any clue as to what the problem could be or what I could do to remedy it? I'm sure there's a command result I should be posting but I'm fairly new to Linux, especially Knoppix so treat me as a noob
    Let me know if any additional information is required.

    Thanks in advance!

    System specs:
    Asus P6t6 WS mobo
    Core i7 920
    6 GB Mushkin 1600Mhz RAM
    Saphire Radeon HD 4870 2GB
    Intel 80 GB SDD (Reserved for Windows and Ubuntu)
    WD 500 GB HDD
    WD 2 TB HDD (WD20EADS-00R) -Drive in question
    Running Knoppix from 1 GB usb stick, kernel version 2.6.36.1

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... first of all open a console and tell us the output from
    Code:
    blkid
    and from
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    You can also try (don't post it)
    Code:
    hwinfo --disk
    Code:
    hwinfo --partition
    and have a look at all the lines "Config Status:"

    Perhaps the drive is physically damaged.



    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4
    blkid returns:
    Code:
    /dev/loop0: UUID="389f6935-7d64-40ab-b57f-82f18e1a200b" TYPE="ext2" 
    /dev/cloop0: LABEL="KNOPPIX_FS" TYPE="iso9660" 
    /dev/sda1: LABEL="Windows" UUID="5327842A1B02EB54" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sda5: UUID="908a7b0b-3d0d-4706-9a65-99ec28298cb8" TYPE="swap" 
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL="Data" UUID="EA4C906C4C903573" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sdc1: LABEL="New Volume" UUID="989851F09851CCFE" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sdd1: LABEL="PENDRIVE" UUID="08FF-2B38" TYPE="vfat"
    fdsisk -l returns:
    Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x001a7501
    
       Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *           1        5104    40992768    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2            9328        9729     3229065    5  Extended
    /dev/sda5            9328        9729     3229033+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
    
    Disk /dev/sdc: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xd7976d0b
    
       Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdc1               1       60801   488384001    7  HPFS/NTFS
    
    Disk /dev/sdd: 1000 MB, 1000341504 bytes
    16 heads, 32 sectors/track, 3816 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 512 * 512 = 262144 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000
    
       Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdd1   *           1        3816      976880    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    Nothing in there about the disk...

    ran hwinfo --disk and the info regarding sdb is:
    Code:
    55: IDE 200.0: 10600 Disk
      [Created at block.243]
      UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model_WDC_WD20EADS_00R
      Unique ID: WZeP.M7rkuYeOTfF
      Parent ID: w7Y8.tYR4Y_IlQjE
      SysFS ID: /class/block/sdb
      SysFS BusID: 2:0:0:0
      SysFS Device Link: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host2/target2:0:0/2:0:0:0
      Hardware Class: disk
      Model: "WDC WD20EADS-00R"
      Vendor: "WDC"
      Device: "WD20EADS-00R"
      Revision: "01.0"
      Driver: "ahci", "sd"
      Driver Modules: "ahci"
      Device File: /dev/sdb
      Device Number: block 8:16-8:31
      Drive status: no medium
      Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
      Attached to: #24 (SATA controller)
    using --partition got this:
    Code:
    59: None 00.0: 11300 Partition
      [Created at block.412]
      UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_EA4C906C4C903573
      Unique ID: h4pj.SE1wIdpsiiC
      Parent ID: WZeP.M7rkuYeOTfF
      SysFS ID: /class/block/sdb/sdb1
      Hardware Class: partition
      Model: "Partition"
      Device File: /dev/sdb1
      Device Files: /dev/sdb1, /dev/block/8:17, /dev/disk/by-uuid/EA4C906C4C903573, /dev/disk/by-label/Data
      Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
      Attached to: #58 (Disk)
    Any clue what this could mean?

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... have you already formatted
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL="Data" UUID="EA4C906C4C903573" TYPE="ntfs"
    with Windows-Tools? This will take a very long time!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4
    I believe I used Gparted before it stopped working. I remember using Testdisk to try to restore the partitions but it never worked out.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... with GParted you can create a partition and select NTFS formatting. But it isn't really NTFS formatting; you have to do this with Windows tools.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4
    It was probably formatted with Windows then. The drive has always been NTFS.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Brand New Genuine Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (Advanced Server) Version 3 picture

Brand New Genuine Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (Advanced Server) Version 3

$39.99



Ubuntu 26.04 Linux Desktop PC, Quadcore i7, up to 32GB RAM + 2TB SSD, Dell 7040 picture

Ubuntu 26.04 Linux Desktop PC, Quadcore i7, up to 32GB RAM + 2TB SSD, Dell 7040

$399.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99