Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Remove packages

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    110

    Remove packages

    What is an easy way to remove all packages at once. I just need the ones I want installed. No Accessories, Education, Games, Graphics, Internet, Office, Programming, Sound, ect. I only want Konqueror and rdesktop? I am remastering a dvd and I want my Knoppix build to only have these. I want it as lightweight as possible. I want this for a student lab environment. Thanks greatly for all input.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    First, if you haven't setup a 2+ GB persistent store, do it. You need several MB for the updated package database, which resided in the cloop image, but now will be completely rewritten.

    Second, do a dpkg-query variant to get the package lists. There are several possible versions, you can grab good examples from the remastering notes in the wiki here.
    Don't trust the package list published with Knoppix, take your actual packages.

    Third, prepare a purge-list to feed into aptitude purge from the package list. You may want to make sections, and because removing some key components will prompt the removal of a whole series of packages, you may want to make an updated package list after having purged for a while.

    Fourth, don't be afraid if some of your to keep-components are suggested for removal. You just reinstall them afterwards.

    Fifth, don't try to remove too much of system components, even if you think you don't need them. Concentrate on userspace packages.

    Sixth, you can check your remastering with qemu-kvm. One simple way, if you use grub, is adding a grub entry for the remastered version, for example copied to a pendrive, and run qemu /dev/sda &. You get the ordinary grub startup screen in a window, and choose the new alternative. You can even do quite a bit of basic functionality checking this way, provided you have kvm running. Qemu complains if it can't get it to run.

    Seventh, only attempt CD remastering after thorough testing of the new cloop image.

    Good luck!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    110

    Remove Packages

    Thanks greatly for you reply. I tried to remaster but the guide I followed seemed outdated and ended up not working.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Outdated directions: Sorry, I didn't mention that. I thought you had that under control.

    Look in the recent forum thread about remastering for Forester's script for simple remastering without chroot etc. I'm using a variant of that, and it works really well - and predictable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX picture

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX

$69.99