-
Senior Member
registered user
An easy way to roll your own Knoppix derivative
Having just been through the creation of a fully 64-bits version of Knoppix, including remastering, I am thinking about simple solutions for creating this kind of derivatives. What to do with an upcoming Knoppix 6.6, for example? According to Klaus, it will still be hybrid.
I think working out from the minirt might be a good way. We have the 64-bits kernel, which does not have to be replaced (if it's not for Knoppix-unrelated bugs etc - like with 2.6.37 necessitating 2.6.39). We also have 64-bits busybox from Debian releases - what more do we need to start off?
To me, it seems that it might suffice to put dpkg with support libraries into the minirt bin. Debian live and Kanotix stuffs all sorts of utilities there, I think the Knoppix minimal way is better and more robust.
1. Create a loop-mounted image 5-15GB, just use adaptation of the persistent creating function in minirt.
2. No compressed image in the first version, and minimal system initialization. Use only internal hard disk partitions and USB-mounted media, which are already supported by kernel.
3. Init into a console, where dpkg can be run, to install apt-get, aptitude etc, and continuing from there.
4. Split package lists from to distro-to-copy (e.g. Knopix 6.6) into manageable units, and feed them to aptitude, batch-wise.
5. All the initial setup and testing work is done in qemu-kvm, no rebooting necessary ever.
6. When all actual packages are installed, copy in 64-bits /sbin/init and Knoppix initialization.
7. Create compressed image the ordinary way.
It wouldn't be too hard to have this as an option in standard minirt, I think.
-
I understand few of the previous items. However, I have thought that like there is a menu item for create a Flash boot disk, it would be great to have a menu item to "create a flash boot drive like the one that I have".
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Denver Dave
I understand few of the previous items. However, I have thought that like there is a menu item for create a Flash boot disk, it would be great to have a menu item to "create a flash boot drive like the one that I have".
But AFAIK, that is exactly what happens? And if you have remastered, it will be the remastered copy that is transferred.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...
$89.99

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard
$54.99