-
Senior Member
registered user
Pipelining Knoppix's IceWeasel: a good idea, or not?
.
Pipelining is turned off by default in Knoppix's IceWeasel.
I've turned mine on by entering about:config into the browser address line,
promising 'to be careful', and changing network.http.pipelining to true.
Most sites seem to come up faster this way for me.
I'm wondering what the down-side may be in actual practice.
Opera is the only major browser that has this parameter set to true by default,
according to wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_pipelining
Open to any comments, advice, warnings from those having some first-hand
experience in this area, either good or bad.
-
Senior Member
registered user
ps
I had this posted in the wrong place before.
I note that mint not only recommends pipelining, but suggests setting maxrequests to 150.
The latter sounds a extreme to me; mine is still set to 4, the default.
Not sure, but I think the volume of entries in the yahoo spam file has increased.
No more get through to the inbox, but more to ignore.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Apparently the number of requests, for mozilla is an integer 1 through 8.
The value of 1 means no pipelining.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.ht...ng.maxrequests
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
I find a significant improvement in IceWeasel's responsiveness with
pipelining turned on and maxrequests set to 8.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I haven't figured how to quantify this, but after about a month my
impression is that for most sites, maxrequests=8 feels like a nice
improvement in browser responisiveness, relative to maxrequests=4.
However, for a few sites, the browser may 'choke' for several
seconds, as can be confirmed by watching the lxpanel cpu monitor.
I can't recall ever noticing this 'choking' effect at maxrequests=4.
My overall impression is that maxrequest=8 is (now) not the right number,
and intend to tweak it down some until the 'choking' isn't objectionable.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold
$121.00

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3
$200.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00