Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 89

Thread: Knoppix V6.7.0

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    ... is there any advantage to use ntfs-3g instead of ntfs-3g-ng, which is already installed within Knoppix?
    I'm not sure either is needed, but some of the literature made me think that sparse-files required ntfs-3g.
    A little later, if some pro doesn't answer the question, I'll remove it and we'll see what happens.

    My immediate concern is revising the 'what's in' vs 'what's out' menu to suit my needs.

    I do think kl522's suggestion is a powerful improvement in things.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    ... is there any advantage to use ntfs-3g instead of ntfs-3g-ng, which is already installed within Knoppix?
    Haha I did not know ntfs-3g-ng is still on Knoppix because I have removed it from my system since sometime ago.

    When I check Knoppix 6.7, true enough ntfs-3g-ng is still there.

    Please file a bug report with K Klaus. ntfs-3g-ng should not be there, it is an old thing which haven't changed since 2009. If you bring up synaptic it will show 'ntfs-3g-ng' as 'local or obsolete' or 'manual', because it could not be found in any of the current repositories. Whereas ntfs-3g is currently still an actively maintained piece of code.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ Werner

    ntfs-3g-ng is not on my cd-based Knoppix 6.7 Synaptic LiveUSB.

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ntfs-3g-ng is not on my cd-based Knoppix 6.7 Synaptic LiveUSB.
    ... but it is on Knoppix 6.7.0 CD- an DVD-version.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    ntfs-3g-ng should not be there, it is an old thing which haven't changed since 2009.
    While at it, I went ahead to check the static version of ntfs-3g contained inside minirt.gz from Knoppix 6.7. To my surprise, it is yet even older. There is no version date information but based on the usage output, I am guessing the copy of ntfs-3g was created 2007 !

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    ntfs-3g-ng IS on my 6.7 cd, but not on my LiveUSB.
    I probably would not have gone to apt for ntfs-3g if -ng showed up in Synaptic.

    Anyway, as I understand it, if I want ntfs, I probably want ntfs-3g.

    I'm still having trouble getting all my stuff rounded up to be included in the
    re-master. Only a few piddly /etc contributions made the move so far.
    I have stuff in what seems to be (as mounted in LiveUSB) /home/knoppix/Desktop/KNOPPIX that just isn't transferring. So when I DONT exclude /home, I'm surprised
    it gets lost.

    I notice a lot of the re-mastering literature that Google dredges up is quite old.
    Here, I thought we were on the cutting edge.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ anyone

    When I try to quiet down the command 'create_compressed_fs' by adding '-q' to its options,
    without the quote marks, of course,
    I get a program crash. All I want to do is turn off a lot of unnecessary output.
    Any useful suggestions in this regard?

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ntfs-3g-ng IS on my 6.7 cd, but not on my LiveUSB.
    I probably would not have gone to apt for ntfs-3g if -ng showed up in Synaptic.
    ...you made me curious. Therefore I did a Flash disk Installation of Knoppix CD6.7.0 "without" persistent memory, startet it and Synaptic shows me "ntfs-3g-ng" as installed.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Have you done an update for either Synaptic or apt?

  10. #10
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Have you done an update for either Synaptic or apt?
    ... of course no; why shall I do it? And Synaptic don't show me newer versions of apt or synaptic.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Western Digital Caviar Green 3.5

Western Digital Caviar Green 3.5" 3TB SATA Hard Drive

$40.90



Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408

$354.99



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Dell 2.4TB 10K SAS 2.5

Dell 2.4TB 10K SAS 2.5" F9NWJ 12Gbps HDD AL15SEB24EQY Hard Drive w/ Caddy

$324.99



Lot of 2 HITACHI HUS724020ALS641 0B26928 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5

Lot of 2 HITACHI HUS724020ALS641 0B26928 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5" LFF SAS HARD DRIVE

$29.99



HGST HUS724020ALA640 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5 HDD P/N: 0F14690 picture

HGST HUS724020ALA640 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5 HDD P/N: 0F14690

$55.00



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB,Internal,7200 RPM,3.5 inch Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB,Internal,7200 RPM,3.5 inch Hard Drive

$29.90