Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 89

Thread: Knoppix V6.7.0

  1. #71
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Following up on kl522's suggestion concerning sparse-files, I can report that
    this seems to be a very useful wrinkle on the re-mastering scene.

    Here's the magic combination that worked for me:
    (replace the first line with the second in the Forester/Capricorny setup workspace stanza)
    # sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=${workdir}/knoppix-remaster-data.img bs=1M count=$psize
    dd if=/dev/zero of=${workdir}/knoppix-remaster-data.img bs=1 count=0 seek=${wrkspc_sz}

    With the input command,
    ./rem_05.sh /media/sdc1 15G /media/sdc1/KNOPPIX670&
    the time to prepare a 15 Gb workspace went from 10 minutes to 40 seconds.

    In addition to kl522's suggestion, the following site was helpful:
    http://prefetch.net/blog/index.php/2...hosts-with-dd/

    I don't know if it was essential, but I installed ntfs-3g just in case.
    Synaptic wouldn't help, but 'apt-get install ntfs-3g' did the job.

  2. #72
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    I don't know if it was essential, but I installed ntfs-3g just in ca1se.
    Synaptic wouldn't help, but 'apt-get install ntfs-3g' did the job.
    ... is there any advantage to use ntfs-3g instead of ntfs-3g-ng, which is already installed within Knoppix?

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.7.0 remaster)

  3. #73
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    ... is there any advantage to use ntfs-3g instead of ntfs-3g-ng, which is already installed within Knoppix?
    I'm not sure either is needed, but some of the literature made me think that sparse-files required ntfs-3g.
    A little later, if some pro doesn't answer the question, I'll remove it and we'll see what happens.

    My immediate concern is revising the 'what's in' vs 'what's out' menu to suit my needs.

    I do think kl522's suggestion is a powerful improvement in things.

  4. #74
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    ... is there any advantage to use ntfs-3g instead of ntfs-3g-ng, which is already installed within Knoppix?
    Haha I did not know ntfs-3g-ng is still on Knoppix because I have removed it from my system since sometime ago.

    When I check Knoppix 6.7, true enough ntfs-3g-ng is still there.

    Please file a bug report with K Klaus. ntfs-3g-ng should not be there, it is an old thing which haven't changed since 2009. If you bring up synaptic it will show 'ntfs-3g-ng' as 'local or obsolete' or 'manual', because it could not be found in any of the current repositories. Whereas ntfs-3g is currently still an actively maintained piece of code.

  5. #75
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ Werner

    ntfs-3g-ng is not on my cd-based Knoppix 6.7 Synaptic LiveUSB.

  6. #76
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ anyone

    When I try to quiet down the command 'create_compressed_fs' by adding '-q' to its options,
    without the quote marks, of course,
    I get a program crash. All I want to do is turn off a lot of unnecessary output.
    Any useful suggestions in this regard?

  7. #77
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ntfs-3g-ng is not on my cd-based Knoppix 6.7 Synaptic LiveUSB.
    ... but it is on Knoppix 6.7.0 CD- an DVD-version.

  8. #78
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    ntfs-3g-ng should not be there, it is an old thing which haven't changed since 2009.
    While at it, I went ahead to check the static version of ntfs-3g contained inside minirt.gz from Knoppix 6.7. To my surprise, it is yet even older. There is no version date information but based on the usage output, I am guessing the copy of ntfs-3g was created 2007 !

  9. #79
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    ntfs-3g-ng IS on my 6.7 cd, but not on my LiveUSB.
    I probably would not have gone to apt for ntfs-3g if -ng showed up in Synaptic.

    Anyway, as I understand it, if I want ntfs, I probably want ntfs-3g.

    I'm still having trouble getting all my stuff rounded up to be included in the
    re-master. Only a few piddly /etc contributions made the move so far.
    I have stuff in what seems to be (as mounted in LiveUSB) /home/knoppix/Desktop/KNOPPIX that just isn't transferring. So when I DONT exclude /home, I'm surprised
    it gets lost.

    I notice a lot of the re-mastering literature that Google dredges up is quite old.
    Here, I thought we were on the cutting edge.

  10. #80
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I'm still having trouble getting all my stuff rounded up to be included in the
    re-master. Only a few piddly /etc contributions made the move so far.
    I have stuff in what seems to be (as mounted in LiveUSB) /home/knoppix/Desktop/KNOPPIX that just isn't transferring. So when I DONT exclude /home, I'm surprised it gets lost.
    I am not surprised. I believe /home/knoppix/Desktop/KNOPPIX in the default configuration, is a symbolic link to /mnt-system. We will have to go back to look at how the scripts do the copying. Likely it is copying it as SYMBOLIC link, which means the actual files it points to are NOT copied.

    You should either destroy the symbolic link and make it as hard links, or you could after you performed the remaster, copy the old /mnt-system/* to your new /mnt-system.

    The scripts written made no such provision for this "Knoppix-ish" behavour. Perhaps someone interested to modify the scripts could make further enhancements to make special provision for this.

    It's a smaller glitch I would say. But it is a rather important to be able to handle this, as this is a "Knoppix-ish" behaviour.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$275.00



MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$225.00



S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI) picture

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)

$34.99



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



Build S-100 Bus Computer Peripherals Altair 8800 IMSAI + Apple II Commodore PET picture

Build S-100 Bus Computer Peripherals Altair 8800 IMSAI + Apple II Commodore PET

$69.99



MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board picture

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board

$675.00



Digital Deli Apple Lisa Steve Jobs Blue Box MITS Altair 8800 Bob Moog Intel 4004 picture

Digital Deli Apple Lisa Steve Jobs Blue Box MITS Altair 8800 Bob Moog Intel 4004

$48.00



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



1976 Vintage CPU Guide Intel C4004 8008 CDP1802 IMP-16 PACE M6800 Rockwell PPS-4 picture

1976 Vintage CPU Guide Intel C4004 8008 CDP1802 IMP-16 PACE M6800 Rockwell PPS-4

$59.99