Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Soundcard not detected

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3

    Soundcard not detected

    Hi,

    Before I begin, let me say I am VERY new to knoppix and linux in general. I hope this isn't a problem, so please be gentle with me. Just booted up the CD and it looks pretty cool. My problem is I have no sound, and in sound config, it won't detect my card.

    I've got a crappy Rockwell HCF Winmodem, with built in sound, but I don't care about getting the modem part working as I have cable, but I do want sound, which under Windows uses Riptide drivers.

    I've seen a couple of posts about getting this kind of modem working, but I only need the sound, and I haven't found anything about that.

    So, please please please can someone give me some hand holding on how to get this working :P

    Thanks

    Chris

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: Riptide soundcard not detected

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_1013
    ...I do want sound, which under Windows uses Riptide drivers. I've seen a couple of posts about getting this kind of modem working, but I only need the sound, and I haven't found anything about that.
    It doesn't look good. I tried a couple of Google searches on your behalf, but nothing came up that was useful. An OEM SoundBlaster Live! looks like the way to go. Maybe someone else will have better luck...

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Seems that Rockwell is Conaxant, try this.

    http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/

    don't ask me how to make it work

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3
    Yeah, I've seen that site, and there is a link to Riptide (audio) drivers at
    http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/riptide/index.html, but as you say, I haven't a clue what I would do to get it working though. How can I 'install' it, when I'm booting off CD. Can I even get it working?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    booting off CD would be rather difficult as whatever you install, you have to do it again. May be you need to think about persistent home first.

    With that, I believe it would be something like download the .o files and do insmod/modprobe the proper driver stored at your home directory, for example.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3
    I'm sure I saw a post that talks about installing a modem driver then setting it up on a floppy, so you can boot from CD and use the floppy to contain config / driver files. So I think it may be doable in theory?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4
    Actually having the same problem, made a new topic in http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=28849#28849 because of new problem after installing first driver.

    First you will have to install the HSF modem driver and after that you will have to install the Riptide drivers for audio functionality.

    The first one (HSF) is precompiled in a .DEB Debian package; you should download and install it (if you use Mozilla, you can use "open with the default application")

    The seconf one (RIPTIDE) is in a .tar.gz compressed file. It's source code; so, you'll need to uncompress the file to an empty directory (you can use Konqueror filemanager and then selecting "extract here", i.e., or by command line "tar xvzf (name_of_the_file)")

    After that, read the INSTALL or README files in order to make the installation (I think it's "make" then "make install" and then you can run "ripconfig" in order to configure the sound drivers)

    If you have the same problem that I have (very likely), then you will have an error running ripconfig; you should go to the topic that I've created (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=28849#28849) for new hints.

    Greetings,
    Jose @ Caracas, Vzla.

Similar Threads

  1. soundcard detected, but mixer cannot be found
    By jfhawk06 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 02:46 PM
  2. PROBLEM WITH SOUNDCARD
    By Albanianlord in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2005, 05:24 PM
  3. soundcard problems
    By empro in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-12-2004, 09:17 PM
  4. Problem with a soundcard
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 09:52 PM
  5. wrong soundcard detected?
    By brian in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 01:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Digital Movie Poster (USB-flash drive) picture

Digital Movie Poster (USB-flash drive)

$100.00