-
BIOS gives "boot error" on USB boot, CD boot works perfectly
I've read the wiki and FAQ and I'm still unable to get a successful USB boot.
Booting KNOPPIX 6.7.0 CD English version without any difficulties. Verified the md5 sum and verified the CD.
Trying to install to Kingston Data Traveler 2.0 (4 GB) USB stick. Stick has been used successfully to boot CrunchBang and ArchBang. System is a Dell 530 w/Dell BIOS V1.0.18 dated 2/24/2009.
When I formatted the stick (gparted) with a MS-DOS type MBR and a 1 GB FAT32 partition, the "Menu->Preferences->Install KNOPPIX to flash disk" option allowed me to skip formatting and installed to the /dev/sdc1 partition. Files looked good when I mounted it. Rebooted and BIOS gave "boot error" message but it *did* recognize the USB stick as bootable.
OK, I let the KNOPPIX installer partition format the whole stick and install. Again, it looked good in the file manager. This time, the BIOS did not recognize the stick as a bootable device at all. No message because I couldn't select it to boot.
One thing that *might* be significant -- the BIOS had "ZIP" in the string when it recognized the stick. IIRC, there are two type of bootable sticks: ZIP and some other type. Don't know if this is significant with KNOPPIX installer. (Remember this vaguely from my Damn Small Linux days.)
Help! Should I use UnetBootIn or is there some other way to resolve this?
Tags for this Thread
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99