Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Unable to boot into desktop environment

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3

    Cool Unable to boot into desktop environment

    <span style="background-color: #99FF99;">Hello,

    I'm having problems with Xorg, it seems. I can only get graphics to start working if I rename xorg.conf, otherwise it results in "no monitors found." Once those graphics start to appear (mountain background image starts to load, I can see and move mouse), it will drop back to terminal and give me a number of errors:

    I get 2x the "PreInit returned null for <x>" errors regarding my touchpad. One of the touchpad itself, another for the "Macintosh 2 button" emulation. I then get another for "Error setting MTR."

    In both cases it's also described as "Inappropriate IOCTL for device."

    The problem is that I just deployed to the big sand pit in the middle east and don't have any way to really troubleshoot this easily. It's my only laptop and until it's functional I don't even have internet access in my room (phone antenna too weak for signal). I have to walk about 1/2 mile over to the media center location to hop on a computer, so excuse the lack of exact detail in my errors/etc.

    Any help at all is wonderful.</span>

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    If the background image is a mountain you probably have an older version of Knoppix. The support of your graphics card might be better in a more recent version of Knoppix. The latest one is 6.7.0. I would try
    Code:
    knoppix xmodule=vesa
    or
    Code:
    fb800x600
    at the boot prompt.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3

    [solved]

    I was able to solve off the live CD by applying at the prompt.

    knoppix xmodule=nv

    I later installed Knoppix directly to the drive, and I can swear that it worked straight from there the first time without any options needed. Very odd.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Mellanox 655874-B21  655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678 picture

Mellanox 655874-B21 655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678

$13.99



Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90



CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED picture

CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED

$39.99