Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Unable to boot into desktop environment

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3

    Cool Unable to boot into desktop environment

    <span style="background-color: #99FF99;">Hello,

    I'm having problems with Xorg, it seems. I can only get graphics to start working if I rename xorg.conf, otherwise it results in "no monitors found." Once those graphics start to appear (mountain background image starts to load, I can see and move mouse), it will drop back to terminal and give me a number of errors:

    I get 2x the "PreInit returned null for <x>" errors regarding my touchpad. One of the touchpad itself, another for the "Macintosh 2 button" emulation. I then get another for "Error setting MTR."

    In both cases it's also described as "Inappropriate IOCTL for device."

    The problem is that I just deployed to the big sand pit in the middle east and don't have any way to really troubleshoot this easily. It's my only laptop and until it's functional I don't even have internet access in my room (phone antenna too weak for signal). I have to walk about 1/2 mile over to the media center location to hop on a computer, so excuse the lack of exact detail in my errors/etc.

    Any help at all is wonderful.</span>

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    If the background image is a mountain you probably have an older version of Knoppix. The support of your graphics card might be better in a more recent version of Knoppix. The latest one is 6.7.0. I would try
    Code:
    knoppix xmodule=vesa
    or
    Code:
    fb800x600
    at the boot prompt.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3

    [solved]

    I was able to solve off the live CD by applying at the prompt.

    knoppix xmodule=nv

    I later installed Knoppix directly to the drive, and I can swear that it worked straight from there the first time without any options needed. Very odd.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



WHOOP  TAB-8US2 8

WHOOP TAB-8US2 8" Quad Core, 4G, 32 GB SSD, 3 GB RAM, Tablet PC W/Cover Bundle

$59.95



Lenovo Thinkcentre M720q Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8GB RAM 256GB No OS USFF Desktop picture

Lenovo Thinkcentre M720q Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8GB RAM 256GB No OS USFF Desktop

$115.00



Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



HP - OmniBook 3 - 14

HP - OmniBook 3 - 14" 2K OLED Laptop - Snapdragon X (8-Core CPU) - 8GB Memory...

$399.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor…. picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….

$309.99



Apple Macbook Air M1 8-Core 13in 256GB SSD 8GB RAM 2020 Space Gray Poor Used picture

Apple Macbook Air M1 8-Core 13in 256GB SSD 8GB RAM 2020 Space Gray Poor Used

$339.99



HP 14-DQ2xxx~ i3 Gen 11~ 8 Ram~ 256 NVMe~ Win 11 Pro~ A Condition picture

HP 14-DQ2xxx~ i3 Gen 11~ 8 Ram~ 256 NVMe~ Win 11 Pro~ A Condition

$129.95



Dell Optiplex 7070 Intel Core i5 9th Gen 8GB RAM No Drive/OS USFF Desktop B3 picture

Dell Optiplex 7070 Intel Core i5 9th Gen 8GB RAM No Drive/OS USFF Desktop B3

$150.00